Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-09-14, 18:02
Magic Ball Master

Wii

Quote:
US Wii Price, Launch Date Revealed
The news we've all been waiting for.
by Kathleen Sanders and Matt Casamassina

September 13, 2006 - Nintendo fans finally have a price and release date for the company's new generation console, Wii. The Big N is set to officially announce that the system will hit retail in North and South America for $250 on November 19. The New York Times published with the story and seems, in fact, to have beaten Nintendo Co. Ltd with the news.
Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with one Wii remote, one nunchuck attachment, an AC adapter, an audio/video cable, a sensor bar, sensor bard stand, a Wii console stand and two batteries. The US package will also come bundled with a copy of Wii Sports, a compilation sports game that best shows off the mechanics of the system's unique controller. Wii Sports features tennis, baseball, golf and previously unannounced bowling and boxing games. Nintendo said it would provide Wii owners with more than 25 unique games this year.
Wii's much talked-about Virtual Console download service, which enables gamers to purchase classic games, will offer a library of some 30 titles when the system launches. Titles will include entries from the Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises, Nintendo said. Virtual Console games will cost between $5 and $10 each. Specifically, Nintendo Co. Ltd. announced that Virtual Console games would cost 500 yen ($5), 800 yen ($8) or 1,000 yen ($10); we're presuming these prices are for NES, SNES and N64 games respectively.
The Big N confirmed that it would charge $50 for its new Wii games, which is $10 cheaper than the cost of typical Xbox 360 titles. (Please note that this is First-Party games, prices have not been announced for Third-Part Wii games -- publishers are free to set their own prices on Wii titles.)
Nintendo Co. Ltd. revealed that Wii's various controllers would be available to buy separately at launch. The Wii remote will cost 3800 yen or about $40; the nunchuck 1800 yen or about $20 and the classic controller 1800 yen or about $20.
In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wii will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.
One of the channels available on Wii is called the "Mii Channel." Here, players can customize avatars by selecting from a variety of face shapes, hair styles, color schemes, and so on. The hook is that these avatars can not only be stored on the console itself, they can also be transfered to the Wii remote itself -- presumably so players can easily access their personalized characters and take them with them when playing against friends.
Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.
Nintendo will launch Wii in Japan on December 2 of this year for 25,000 yen, it revealed. North America will get the system first.
Nintendo of Japan has added an amazing breakdown of the Wii's various interfaces to its overseas website. Everything is in Japanese, but the videos speak for themselves. Readers can click right here for a 14-page walkthrough of the system's ambitious features. Included in the list of options are demonstrations of the forecast, Mii, and photo channels. The forecast launches a virtual globe that can be spun in any direction. In the photo channel, users can load hundreds of their favorite photos and edit them in real-time. It's possible to message friends with Mii character profiles and to send pictures in messages. And the videos demonstrate surfing the Web with Wii's Opera browser. These are absolute must-see videos.
Quote:
Live from New York
We're at Nintendo's Wii event. Live updates begin now!
by Matt Casamassina

September 14, 2006 - Nintendo's New York City Wii will begin in just a few minutes and IGN Wii's editorial team is on hand for live updates. Keep refreshing this page to find out exactly what's going on.
9:05 EST: Nintendo opens the doors to its event and people pile in.
9:10 EST: A stage shows a lovely oversized Wii font. A wide assortment of Wii kiosks -- still turned off -- sit to the right of the stage.
9:12 EST: Craig, Matt and Mark are tired. They pass the time by talking about the awesome GUI for Wii. Readers couldn't give a damn.
9:15 EST: NOA's VP of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan takes the stage. Says Nintendo is going to get started and apologizes for being late. Promises to wrap things up quickly and then invites attendees to play Wii after the presentation.
9:15 EST: Mr. Iwata is in flight to Europe to join NOE for presentation later, Perrin says. Perrin says the presentation will last less than an hour and will be followed by a question and answer session.
9:16 EST: NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime takes stage. "Yes, we will reveal all of the relevant information for Wii. Date, price, how many, titles -- all of that information," Reggie says. "But more importantly, today marks our next planned step in driving this industry forward."
"Our strategy is based on one core belief: that the next step in gaming is bringing gaming back to the masses. It literally is that simple. Appealing to those current games as well as broadening this industry to new gamers," Fils-Aime adds.
9:18 EST: Talks about Nintendo DS. "So far in 2006, everyone is pleased with industry revenue growth that is just about 8 percent through August. But the main contributor to that success is Nintendo DS. If you back out DS growth from the equation, the total equation is 2 percent growth."
Speaks about Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for DS.

9:25 EST; Today, he says, Nintendo will explain its plans for altering the controller interface and the game. Wii goes on sale November 19. "The worldwide debut of the Wii system happens right here in the Americas -- the same place where we debuted Nintendo DS. On November 19, it will be available at more than 25,000 points of distribution across the Americas. And with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $249.99. One price. One configuration. One color." Which is, for the record, white.
Plans to ship 4 million Wii consoles between launch and December 31. Americas will receive the largest share of stock.
Inside the box, you'll get the hardware, all the cables, the sensor bar. One Wii remote and one nunchuck controller.
Reggie says there are 40 demo units here today with more than two dozen Wii games. Some are updated versions of games and some are brand new -- that we've never seen before.
9:30 EST: Invites NOA player to show off Wii Sports Bowling. "Been designed from the ground up to be playable by absolutely everyone," player says.
To play the game, the controller is swung backward and then pushed forward -- almost like you'd hit a golf ball. It's as simple as that. You can give the ball spin by tilting the controller as you release.

9:33 EST: Reggie takes stage again. Says Wii Tennis Wii Golf, Wii Baseball, Wii Bowling and Wii Boxing are all included in the Wii Sports disc. Calls it a five-game compilation. "This is designed to get everyone involved playing." Game will be packed with Wii. Everyone'll get it when they buy the system. "We'll also offer consumers the widest range of launch titles ever in the history of videogames. The list is big and -- as you'll see -- it's new and nostalgic. Unique. Delivering a brand new type of entertainment."
Talks about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Says they'll have Excite Truck ready for Wii launch.
"With Wii sports, these titles represent a fantastic trio..."
"First time we have a Zelda title available on launch day. It gives us a huge boost and huge momentum right out of the box. It's a masterpiece game. We will continue to make those big masterpiece titles for the core gamer, as well as new games to drive market expansion."
"If you were to play Zelda all day to day for six hours, you'd only be scratching the surface..."
At the event hosted by Nintendo of Japan, there were 104 Wii games demonstrated.

9:35 EST: Shows list of third party games. Ubisoft, Midway, Konami, EA, Activision, and Vivendi, the latter of which has Ice Age 2 coming. "A bridge to gaming for mainstream audiences," says EA's Larry Probst of Wii.
"In all, approximately 30 Wii games will be available at retail during the launch window. And about half of those will be available at launch," Reggie says. Games will be priced at $49.99.
Talks about Wii channels. "Not just Virtual Console, but a total effort to redefine who will use videogames in the future."

9:45 EST: 30 Virtual Console games by the end of the year. Beginning in January, Nintendo will deliver 10 more VC games per month. 9:48 EST: Bill Trinen takes stage to talk about Wii channels. Says that these channels will make non-gamers want to pick up the Wii. Trinen goes into the Mii channel, which enables users to create virtual versions of themselves. He says he wants to create Samuel L. Jackson. Modifies hair and face on a 3D model. Changes eyes. Changes nose. Changes lips. Gives him a mustache. Changes the color of his clothes. Enter his name. This is all done easily with the Wii-mote by pointing and clicking.
Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.
Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.
Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.
10:00 EST: Reggie takes the stage. "When connected to the Internet, users have access to news and weather channels." News is constantly updated via WiiConnect24. Also a Wii message board where users can send messages and photos to other Wii owners; or to PC owners or cell phone. You can also leave messages on a calendar-based note system.
Chats about WiiConnect24. More aspects will be shared later, he says.
Back to channels. You can download the Opera Web browser using Wii points. So you'll need to buy it. Then you can surf the Net.
"We want consumers to come to rely on their Wii channels every day. Because then it's a short hop from using the Wii remote to playing their first game."
Reggie recaps. First, a revolutionary new way to play game. Second, the ability to time travel to the best of legacy content. The biggest combined software launch in history. Fourth, the unique channel system acting as a pied piper for new gamers. And finally, a price poiint that says mass market ready from day one.
Question and Answer Session Begins

Q: How much are the remotes?
A: Wii remote is $39.99 and the nunchuck attachment is $19.99.
Q: What's up with Zelda for GameCube?
A: Zelda GameCube launches on December 11.
Q: What's the cost of accessing the Internet?
A: No cost through our system. You need an Internet connection at your home. Wii is Wi-Fi enabled.
Q: First-party games will be $49.99. Will third parties price at $59.99?
A: We encourage third parties to price appropriately.
Question about 16:9 games that can't be answered.
Q: Talk about integration between DS and Wii.
A: In the future we'll talk about that.
Q: Metroid Prime 3?
A: 2007 game.
Q: When we can we expect to play games online for Wii and what kind of interface?
A: What's been announced in Japan is that the first online multiplayer game is going to be Pokemon Battle that will be launching during their launch window in Japan. When can you expect that here in the US? Shortly thereafter.
Q: How will the Wii Points be translated to Canada?
: 2,000 Wi points will be $24 Canadian.
I think we all expected the price, but I'm very disappointed in the controller situation. Certainly they have expensive components (moreso than previous consoles) but c'mon - to only package one setup (Wiimote+nunchuck) but package a multiplayer game doesn't make much sense. Furthermore, they must be trying to make up the difference by charging an unprecedented $60 for a new Wiimote/Nunchuck setup.

Which means, should you want four people to play, it will cost you:

$250 for the Wii
$180 for another 3 controllers

Quite a bit of money to get the multiplayer experience Nintendo has been touting.

Oh well.
Old 2006-09-14, 19:23
Radical Dreamer

good point, hadn't thought of that.

btw, japanese price is only 170$, now I could expect a 30$ rise coming to US, but 80$ is really steap...
Old 2006-09-14, 19:33
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, the initial package seems a little confusing. You'd have expected two Wii Remotes to have been included along with Wii Sports, considering all the harping on about multiplayer and wanting everyone to play and what have you.

Controllers are a little pricey, but does anyone actually buy 3 extra controllers for their consoles? I normally just pick up another, and then if I'm playing multiplayer, get a friend to bring a couple more round. But for people who are friends with people who won't own Wiis, I can see it being a bit of a problem. However, for me, it's not really a concern.

Looks like a nice piece of kit though. Very sleek. European price and launch is announced tomorrow. I seriously hope we don't get fucked over, again.
Old 2006-09-14, 19:37
Look beyond reality.

Well, actually I thought around $200,- would be fair. But this is pretty expensive.
I don't care what others think though 'Yeah but the experience is worth the money!' and that kind of things are going around the internet atm..
Well, it's as simple as this; I just don't have $350 to $400 to spend on 4 controllers and the standard package, sorry.
And I think it's a bit lazy of nintendo to first say "It'll be priced under the $250!", and now make it a $249,99.

Anyway, I will get it, just maybe not at launch.
Old 2006-09-14, 19:39
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman View Post
Yeah, the initial package seems a little confusing. You'd have expected two Wii Remotes to have been included along with Wii Sports, considering all the harping on about multiplayer and wanting everyone to play and what have you.

Controllers are a little pricey, but does anyone actually buy 3 extra controllers for their consoles? I normally just pick up another, and then if I'm playing multiplayer, get a friend to bring a couple more round. But for people who are friends with people who won't own Wiis, I can see it being a bit of a problem. However, for me, it's not really a concern.

Looks like a nice piece of kit though. Very sleek. European price and launch is announced tomorrow. I seriously hope we don't get fucked over, again.
bet your ass we'll get fucked over, I predict a 299 price, which is almost double of the Japanese price x.x

btw: I always buy the maximum amount of controllers I can for my consoles. when the occasion arrives, I want to be ready for it
Old 2006-09-15, 02:37
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Most multiplayer games dont use the nunchuck.
Thats why its sold seperately.
====

Incidently, Since when do people buy 4 controllers with a console O_O

Quote:
"It'll be priced under the $250!", and now make it a $249,99.
Its $250 with a game in the US, so really the price is less then $250

In japan it dosnt come with WiiSports, but they get a cheaper price (around £100 rather then £130, in english...both seem very cheap to me)

The nunchuck is expensive, but I only need the one it comes with, so I have no problem at all with it.
Another Wii-troller is a must get, but that seems cheap considering its wireless, motion tracking and rotational sensing. Oh, and little speaker too. Oh, and a little bit of memory to store settings and your character dude.

Im happy with the US price.
I am also Happy that its region free

Im just waiting for the UK price, then I may start to plan an import...

Last edited by Darkflame; 2006-09-15 at 02:42.
Old 2006-09-15, 02:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Ok, on a brighter note, the Wii's interface kicks arse:
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Seriously, just look at that SD picture viewer animation, its wonderfull

Very worth exploreing that page, lots of good stuff.
Old 2006-09-15, 08:38
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Ok, on a brighter note, the Wii's interface kicks arse:
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Seriously, just look at that SD picture viewer animation, its wonderfull

Very worth exploreing that page, lots of good stuff.
That's indeed pretty cool!
Old 2006-09-15, 08:56
Radical Dreamer

the SD viewer looks awesome yeh

I do think it's lame you have to pay for the browser... even the dreamcast one came for free with a game :/ (dreamkey, at least it did where I live)
Old 2006-09-15, 14:24
Classic

Well, the browser is free till March 07, or something.
At least thats what it says on the Nintendo's japan site.

It is odd makeing you pay, but I wont complain untill I hear the price.
If its just £5 or less, Im not argueing. Probably goes straight to Opera, so its effectively saved £5 per-unit off anyone that dosnt want a browser

Also, I notice IGN has said:

Quote:
Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

THAT sounds interesting.
Wonder what format it understands.
Old 2006-09-15, 14:45
weee

I got to a conclusion that Wii is way superior than the other 2 consoles. Initiativity all the way!
Old 2006-09-15, 14:49
Radical Dreamer

nah, different, gamecube, xbox and playstation 2 tried to be as much alike as possible, while now nintendo noticed that playing a different market is the way to go (if you look at the DS vs the PSP that is )
Old 2006-09-15, 14:54
Classic

DETAILS:

UK price : £175 with Wii Sports game, one controller, one nunchuck.
1st Party Game price : £35-39
Release: Dec 8th
Old 2006-09-15, 14:55
Classic

A bit more expensive then I hoped, but confirmation the games are a bit cheaper is really nice.
Also, released this year. (eat that Argos with your March07 bollocks! )
Old 2006-09-15, 15:43
Magic Ball Master

I said on another site it'd be £179 in the UK. I was right. Bit more expensive than in the US, but I guess that's to be expected. The controller + nunchuck seems steep though - £45 altogether. Eek.

I'd get one at launch if I wasn't going to Australia a few days after (which is partly why I was hoping for a November release).
Old 2006-09-15, 20:01
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
it will take me about a month to get #120 (EMA )
and I want a DSlite and a Wii.

just hope i dont go spending my EMA money on crap like college books

(# <- insert pound symbol instead of that)
Old 2006-09-15, 21:53
Little Bastard Warrior.

Oh god. I just saw on ZH2Q.com that the Wii version of Twilight Princess is flipped. Not just Link. The entire game is flipped to help right handed people. Sweet jesus. I really don't see the point. Not even in flipping Link. Why couldn't they just switch between which hand he holds the shield with? So what if Shigeru is a lefty. And Links mean left in German.

I don't know... I just don't think playing a flipped game is cool.
Old 2006-09-15, 22:02
Classic

but really It doesnt make a blind bit of difference, if true.
As long as any text isn't backwards.

It would probably have taken far more effort to selectively have flipped links animations and the controls.
It dosnt even effect the controllers...its just the relationship between the IRL controll and links movement they wanted to sycn..the game controlls themselfs arnt left or right handed.

Link is "supposed" to be a lefty, but now they are implying he is ambidextrous
Old 2006-09-16, 00:32
Little Bastard Warrior.

Well if the game is flipped for righties, then I think it's still fair to say he plays for the right team. The left team:

Lé Sinistrals!
Old 2006-09-16, 01:49
Classic

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/articles...51/vids_1.html

Nice video showing that it will have video playback....and its also got a little puzzle mode in the picture viewer

Simple, but a nice little addition, imo.
Old 2006-09-16, 02:53
Magic Ball Master

My money is still up in the air. I won't go for the launch anymore, so its going to be a holiday purchase of either the Wii or the PS3.
Old 2006-09-16, 10:55
Master of Science & Magic

eur250

sure you'll get the Wii sports game, but I don't want that friggin game, so give me a gameless version for 200
Old 2006-09-16, 14:43
Classic

I think they know the game wont sale well seperately.
The first people buying the Wii are going to be established gamers, who arnt generaly going to go for a complation of 5 simple sports games.

The game is *perfect* for introduceing new players to the Wii, however, so they want it in peoples homes to try to spread the system to the rest of the family.

I think thats their logic anyway.

Personaly, Im putting aside £230 for launch, as I just cant wait any longer for Zelda. Im hopeing some stores do some nice offers.

eg. They could give away Gamecube games with it, seeing as its compatible and they must have tones on un-sold cube stuff.
Old 2006-09-16, 16:39
Magic Ball Master

Do your local shops really do that? I doubt any around here will, I've never seen any good local bundles like that.
Old 2006-09-16, 20:19
formerly just angry

Pretty decent launch - Am disappointed it wasn't £150 but hey ho. I am more annoyed about the controller price which is very high - especially as Ninty have already stated they'll be making a profit at launch rather than the usual loss. There's a lot of cool games coming out, but I do hope they release a component cable in the UK this time...Not that I have a component TV (yet) but there you go.

Am hoping Gamestation will do a decent launch offer seeing as there aren't many independents around York. Interface looks nice - but I'd've liked a black one to go with my DSL

Tags
consoles, videogames