Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-02-16, 15:14
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, Im worried its a lisence issue.
Maybe, because they didnt pay a lisence to the dvd consortium to have it as a dvd player, they arnt allowed to make it one in the future.

eg. They dont except lisence payments from "software upgrades".

Seriously, there is no hardware reason for it.
Those are dvd disks, thats a dvd wavelength lazer in there, it can read the sodding data. It just needs software to interpret it.
The Wii might be be the most powerfull thing in the world, but it can certainly decode Mpeg2.

Quote:
Hoping this isn't the case, but I am a little concerned about Nintendo's greed with the VC games. It's costing them virtually nothing to put these games out, and they're charging quite a bit relative to that. Granted, people and demand apparently are fine with this, so I probably am in the minority, but I don't think that the prices are very fair, especially considering how cheap these games are on ebay.
Personaly, I dont think the prices are that bad. If they were games you never played before, they would be barguns. (and, for younger games, they would be).
DVD of Films or tv shows 50 years old still cost $10-20..and distro costs for them is probably sub $3. Every other medium effectively, gets paid for by an archieve of old stuff thats already made money when it was new,why should gameing be different?

The problem, imo, is the prices are too fixed.

They are fixed "per format", which is really silly!

They should charge relative to how good/long the game is. Prices should be relative to enjoyment.

Also, they should hurry up and get a Stars/Points conversion going, and then phase out the star-system completely. I dont expect a good exchange rate, mind. >_<

Imo, Nintendo should be a bit more "fun" and flexible with points.
Dont give out much, but let us earn points for doing random things.
(eg, one of the first 1000 to complete a game in each country gets some....or the people with the best prediction rates after 5 weeks...)

Just random little things.
Old 2007-02-16, 17:03
Magic Ball Master

Wait...what stars/points/conversion are you talking about?

Can you earn Wii points?
Old 2007-02-16, 21:39
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Kinda.
Nintendo UK games come with scratch of cards that let you earn "Star points". You can also earn small amounts by visting the website, or doing the occasionaly game survay.
Its effectively a Nintendo loyaty scheme.

99% of the time all you can spend these points on is lame mp3, wallpaper or mobile phone downloads. Occasionaly there is games and tshirts and such, but its rare.

Recently Nintendo said there would be a conversion rate of star points to wii points, but havnt said when/what.

Basicaly, I approve of what they are doing ,but they gota do it FAR better and FAR more of it.

* Go straight to Wii points, not ver stars
* Earn points ver the current ways, but also by doing special game or wii-related things.
* If your going to have downloadables 'sold' for points, lets have cool ones! Concept art, designers notes, sneak previews ect. Things gamers would be interested it.
Old 2007-02-16, 21:56
Magic Ball Master

I don't think we've got anything like that here in the USA. I'd love to get some free Wii points...
Old 2007-02-16, 22:07
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
I really hope its a 1:1 or atleast a 2:1 conversion with the points. I have 4000 hard earned points.
Old 2007-02-16, 23:30
formerly just angry

8170 stars waiting for an outlet - I am sooooo frustrated waiting
Old 2007-02-22, 17:25
Magic Ball Master

My little bro picked up Sonic and the Secret Rings yesterday. My thoughts so far:

Pros:
- Great graphics, personally, I think they rival the 360's Sonic game
- Interesting storyline
- Leveling system is fun
- Levels vary depending on goal/task

Cons:
- May just be my opinion, but the execution of the Wii controls could've been alot better. Going backwards with Sonic is like drilling teeth, and you need to do it many times.
- Camera is improved from previous Sonic incarnations (by a longshot) but still isn't panned back far enough so you avoid pitfalls.
- Controls in general seem to be a bit rough around the edges...I can never get comfortable with the Wiimote in this game, which annoys me.

---

Anyways, I'll post more the further I get. So far, I'd give it 6.5 out of 10.
Old 2007-02-22, 21:47
Magic Ball Master

I flat out refuse to use the Virtual Console until Nintendo sort out the PAL conversion issues that plague most games.

Get it sorted Nintendo.
Old 2007-02-22, 22:29
Classic

I dought most people would even notice the difference.

And its not exactly a question of "getting it sorted", its to do with crapy laws apperently. Nintendo is only free to publish games already rated from the region they are released in.
They cant publish a US or JAP rom in the UK without it going ver the ratings/ ISFF/whatever it is.

Sure, Nintendo could do that, but dont expect them to do it for every game merely because some people want the US framerates.

Its annoying enough it has to be done for, say, MarioRPG, or Paper Mario to come out over here at all >_<
Old 2007-02-24, 18:25
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman View Post
I flat out refuse to use the Virtual Console until Nintendo sort out the PAL conversion issues that plague most games.

Get it sorted Nintendo.
only game I noticed that has a shoddy pal conversion was Sonic the Hedgehog... all my others were fine. For the record: Legend of Zelda, Mario 64, Bonk and Donkey Kong Country. 1 game out of 5... it's a shame, but it's not exactly "most games" either.

But yeah, I do want them to fix my sonic
Old 2007-02-24, 22:32

zelda OoT is now on there for only 1000 points. Although, I've already got it on gamecube disc, so no point me buying. I think I'll buy majora's mask when it comes on...
Old 2007-03-08, 02:09

I submitted a question not too long ago, Darkflame is my witness

Quote:
[18:32] Dan2552: hehe i sent a question in
[18:33] Darkflame: what you send?
[18:33] Dan2552: which oversea transport do you prefer
sea / air
[18:34] Dan2552: im sure they'll reword it
[18:34] Dan2552: if they do use it
[18:35] Darkflame: yeah.
Im not sure what I prefer.
Plane is faster, and i use it more often.
and Nintendo actually did it! (obviously did re-word it). It simply can't be a co-incidence :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	danssuggestion.PNG‎
Views:	123
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	6583  
Old 2007-03-08, 23:02
formerly just angry

he ehe cool. I am still voting and being entertained.

Rumour was there was a Nintendo history channel coming to Europe...any more news on that?
Old 2007-03-08, 23:31
Classic

Its part of the shop channel, apperently.
--
In other news;

Trailer for Mairo Galaxy;

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=10173

Looks really, really, fun imo.

And so does this;

http://gamevideos.com:80/video/id/9854
Cant wait
Old 2007-03-09, 18:15
formerly just angry

* the_angry_monkey agrees
Old 2007-03-19, 14:07
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
I got a Wii on saturday, last one in Game. My arms ache from boxing for 3 hours (on the Wii, I'm not cool enough to box in real life). I don't particulary like Zelda, but I wasn't a fan of 3d Zeldas anyway. That Sonic Rings game thing is complete shite, it's horrible. Wii Sports is the best.
Old 2007-03-19, 14:45
Magic Ball Master

I found boxing to be terrible frustrating on the Wii, as the accelerometers didn't seem to be synced very well with player movements...i.e. you'd have to punch slower and more deliberately in Wii Boxing than you would in real life.

I'm hoping EA's Fight Night series, which is rumoured (confirmed?) to be heading to the Wii, will really tune this up.
Old 2007-03-19, 14:59
Magic Ball Master

Does anyone know if mario kart for the snes will ever be vc?

They have the 64 version but the original was so much better IMO

Old 2007-03-19, 18:02
Classic

Yes ,I think its in some regions already.
===

Obviously, Im alone, but I repeat:

Sonic Wii is utterly fantastic.
Best 3D sonic by miles.
Fast, fun, and very original.
Controlls like a dream as long as you dont make yourself need to go backwards, and its extremely fast once you upgrade a bit.
Slow-mo is fun too. (feels very Prince of Persia ish).

Minigames are shit, but completely ignorable.
But the bonus's are lovely.

Why dont more games have making-off features and concept art?

Quote:
I found boxing to be terrible frustrating on the Wii, as the accelerometers didn't seem to be synced very well with player movements...i.e. you'd have to punch slower and more deliberately in Wii Boxing than you would in real life.
Your charecter has a max speed that you should not go over.
Boxing faster *is not* better, you often get new players just jabbing randomly as fast as possible at the screen.
Dosnt work.
Best techiques are to do better aimed punch's in rythem, and use the dodge!
It makes a huge difference
(when someone punchs you and you dodge, it goes slow-mo for a split second leaving them open to attack).

The real problem with WiiBoxing is the lack of instructions.
You can learn the basic rythem with the boxing bag game, but theres clearly some stuff going on that isnt clear.

eg. What/how do you do a "combo" should be explained.

Quote:
I don't particulary like Zelda,
What did you play upto?
I cant belief an LBA fan wouldnt like Twilight Princess.
Old 2007-03-19, 18:29
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
What did you play upto?

I just rescued that person after they chased after the monkey. I'll keep playing it but only because I don't have any other games to play at the moment.

I prefer the 2d ones because they are usually on the handhelds and I find them much more fun to play in short bursts, whereas with 3d ones I find if I play it in short bursts then I take a while finding my way round the maps when I come back to play it.
Old 2007-03-19, 18:59
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
What did you play upto?
To tell you the truth, I got bored of Ocarina of Time in the fourth of this oh-so-different dungeons.
Old 2007-03-19, 19:58
Classic

umm...you mean the one after the dungoen set inside the stomach of a giant fish? where you had to chuck the fish-girl about to solve the puzzles?

or 4th "proper" one, which I think was mostly about reflecting light about the place with your mirror shield and repositionable mirrors (which has since been copyed in about 200 different games)

Either way, Ocarina is a wonderfull game, but Twilight Princess beats it in terms of flow of design.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2007-03-19 at 20:04.
Old 2007-03-19, 21:16
Magic Ball Master

I'm somewhere in the Forest Temple.

Seriously, have seen better games.
Old 2007-03-21, 13:19
Magic Ball Master

Really, I have to agree with the masses, again. I think Ocarina of Time is the greatest Zelda ever.

While Twilight Princess is a good game, it's a disappointing Zelda title for me. I don't think the storyline is very Zelda-centric, and while I understand they need new blood to keep things fresh, the whole thing seems very generic.

Personally, I would rather see them ditch Ganon in the next title as the main villain. If they can come up with something original, something that really fits into the Zelda series, then I wouldn't object. Although with the Triforce legend, it's pretty obvious why he needs to be the bad guy.

Frankly though, for all the criticisms of Wind Waker...it is 10x's the Zelda that Twilight Princess tries to be. Again, this is my opinion, but I see others sharing it across the 'net as well...TP is a great game, but a mediocre/good Zelda game. It's the story that really kills it. I don't remember why half the shit I did is important to the story, but it was.
Old 2007-03-21, 14:36
Magic Ball Master

I'm currently playing Okami on the PS2, which is a Zelda-esque game.

Vastly superior to Twilight Princess. Possibly the best game of the previous generation.

Twilight Princess is good, but by Zelda standards it's a dissapointment. The bits between dungeons are tedious. At the moment I'm on my way to the dungeon in the forest (use the golden chicken to get there), only to discover I have to do that immensly tedious task where I have to follow that 'thing' around the forest. Man, it was boring as hell the first time, why do I have to do it again? I immediatly turned the game off and haven't played on it since.

Dungeons are alright, but suffer from being too easy (haven't felt challenged on a single one yet), and slightly too long. I'd much prefer a shorter dungeon with trickier puzzles. OoT had the right balance. The bosses look impressive, but are dissapointingly easy to beat.

But most of all, the game just feels way too conservative. With Wind Waker (a brilliant game, despite it's criticism), it felt like Zelda was being pushed into new territory. Twilight Princess just feels like two steps backwards for the series. Same old, same old.

Tags
consoles, videogames