Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-11-04, 17:58
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Cool Last Anime you've seen...

Here, you post the title of the last movie you've seen. We'll accept it, even if you didn't see it today or yesterday.

And, opnions, and reviews are also appreciated, of course.

OK: I'll start.

Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha A's
Well, as you can judge from the title, it is an Anime, that involves magical girls, however, it's a shōnen anime, which means that it was intended for guys, so yes, there is some fan-service in it (though of a kind, that I don't really appreciate), and some of the battles are reminiscent of those in Dragon Ball Z.
Old 2007-11-04, 17:59
Master of Science & Magic

Spirited Away
Was just on TV.
Old 2007-11-04, 18:23
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Paprika was the last film I saw (bloody excelent)

I also saw a few eppisodes of Lupin 3rd after that (great fun)
Old 2007-11-04, 19:21
Idyllic + whimsical

Rewatched Elfen Lied a while ago.
Lovely etc.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-11-04, 19:30
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
School Rumble. Soooo random and funny. (series)
Old 2007-11-04, 20:36
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Old 2007-11-04, 20:51
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
You seen Paprika? Spirited Away? Howls Moving Castle?
If you think any of them suck I feel really sorry for you.
Old 2007-11-04, 21:17
Idyllic + whimsical

Yes Morshem, have you seen any anime?
And by that I don't mean stuff that's on the kids channel and such.
Old 2007-11-04, 21:20
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I saw Spirited Away, and didn't like it at all. We had a long argument about that last year, I don't feel like going back to it.

I didn't mean that any particular film/series/whatever sucks, I meant that I totally dislike the drawing style.
Old 2007-11-04, 21:23
Idyllic + whimsical

But there isn't only one drawing style.
Old 2007-11-04, 21:28
weee

I dislike the fact that "anime" has became a popular style. I think every animator should have their own style.

Other than that, Spirited Away was really imaginative and enriching.
Old 2007-11-04, 23:23
Classic

Anime isnt one style, however.
It has a slight trend, but Ghiblis style is quite different to, say, Paprika's.
(and even then, Ghibli expirements a bit; Their next film will be watercoloured)

Anime "style" is a bit like saying Flash Animation has a "style". You get a lot of rubbish looking the same from the same source, but that dosnt mean everything looks the same. Especialy not the high-end stuff.

Besides, I mean, gezz...not watching anime because you dont like the style?
Lets not play LBA because the graphics suck.

To miss out on Ghibli classics, or the shear originality of stuff like Paprika is a real shame.
I love Pixar movies, but in general there just isnt any interesting western animated films anymore. We seem to be stuck with animal-based comadys.
Old 2007-11-04, 23:54
weee

Yeah, how can you even notice the style when those movies can have such an amazing gameplay!

Well, you could say that the plot is more important, and you'll be right. I did watch Spirited Away and enjoy it. But what bothers me is the drawing style, which can be an important quality in animation movies. I think that copying a style someone else has created is a weakness, and is almost never a good thing. It's just a shame. (I understand he added to the style, but still)

On a off topic note, I had a very hard time writing this message after playing Portal for some time. I feel like I'm missing a dimension... so dizzy.
Old 2007-11-04, 23:54
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
I used to dislike all anime but have warmed to some of it recently. I have to agree that there is much to be appreciated in the likes of Ghibli films and 'Paprika'.

Though there is a lot of mass-produced, rubbish anime out there, there's probably even less of any merit in American animation at the moment (excepting Brad Bird's films, and a few others), in my opinion. Dreamworks Animation is particularly dreadful at the moment.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that 'Spirited Away' is my second favourite animated film of recent years (first prize goes to 'The Triplets of Belleville').

The last anime I saw was, indeed, 'Spirited Away', which is one of those animated films (like 'Belleville' and 'Pinocchio', my all-time favourite animated feature) that I never get tired of watching.
Old 2007-11-05, 13:27
Classic

Quote:
Well, you could say that the plot is more important, and you'll be right. I did watch Spirited Away and enjoy it. But what bothers me is the drawing style, which can be an important quality in animation movies. I think that copying a style someone else has created is a weakness, and is almost never a good thing. It's just a shame. (I understand he added to the style, but still)
While I agree its wrong to copy animation style, I dont think they are.
At least, no more then western animations.

The differences is just cultural, western drawing styles are no more or less diverse then jappense, but we are less programed to notice it because we have been brought up seeing things this way.
The simerlaritys between typical Disney and WB are probably no greater then between various good animes.

For instance, I personaly get annoyed that 90% of 3D animation is done in the "Pixar" style, with the other 10% just being pixar-style with wacky distortions. Computers can do so many rendering techiques, its really sad its so restricted in use.
Pixar has brillent animators, and even Dreamsworks Shrek3 has some incredibly well done pieces, but the lack of diversity does annoy me.

Still, imo, style is a low factor in whats important to me. The animation IS important, but not so what style they choose. Id rather have a brillently animated piece in an unorriginal style then a poorly animated piece in a highly original style.
The animation...the way they convay the actions and emotions of the charecters is beyond mere line,shadeing and overlay styles.
Of course though, plot, indeed, comes above everthing. else. (and probably music in between...I loved paprikas soundtrack)
Old 2007-11-05, 14:15
weee

I agree about Pixar, and also about Disney/WB. You probably wouldn't catch me watching any of those things anyway. When it comes to animation I usually only watch original stuff.
Old 2007-11-05, 17:19
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
Disney and WB are pretty awful at the moment, but I think what a lot of what they did from the 30s to the early 50s represents the peak of animation's Golden Age. They were responsible for one or two later gems as well, but mostly it all went downhill from there (sorry... going off topic).

On style, for me it's best when the animation and design complement each other. If the design works better as a static image, you may as well make it a comic book.
Old 2007-11-05, 18:37
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
Spirited Away
Was just on TV.
You've got a TV ?

Anyway, in case you count playing Wind Waker as watching anime, that's it. If you don't I think the last anime movie/series I saw was probably spirited away in school a couple of years ago , I've not got anything against anime, but I rarely watch movies or series besides Simpsons/Family Guy.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-11-07, 19:17

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Devilman 3 OVA. So bloody violent it makes Elfen Lied and Fist of the North Star feel like G rated movies. It is by far the most grotesquely violent thing I've ever seen. Whoever wrote the script/storyboard for it is sick in the head.

Anime fans will tell you that Western animation is constantly aimed at kids. Well yes, I'd agree, it's not very mature. But anime, on the other hand, is only "mature" in the sense that it has the occasional violence, nudity, sex, and language. From what I've seen of anime, and I've seen too bloody much of it, it's about as deep in maturity as most western cartoons.

And YES, Anime does have a more or less consistant style that has persisted throughout decades. Certain things change, like the general shape of faces, size of the eyes (sometimes), and little things like that. But for the most part, it's the same. There's nothing wrong with that either. That's why it's labeled "anime" in the first place, it's the name for that style. Used to be that only anything from Japan was called "anime," like "Western cartoons" are related to North American + European productions. Anyway-

My personal thoughts on anime is a whole is not too good. There are certainly some excellent shows (Cowboy Bebop) and I don't even think that Miyazaki's work should be put along side most anime shows, as it is so increadibly different in delivery. Even unique movies like Paprika and Perfect Blue contain elements that are heavily associated with the Anime mainstream. Miyazaki's films on the other hand, are absolutely nothing like I've seen in any other anime fantasy tv-show/movie.

I've not seen every anime title, but I've seen a hundred or so shows (lots of which haven't even yet been released in anywhere but Japan) and I'm more or less convinced that 99% of it really, truelly sucks. Characters, settings, plots are constantly recycled. Fake-philosophy (ex. characters standind in front of a sunset and randomally blurting out conversations about "life, the universe, and everything") plagues almost every show I've seen. Even the framing and editing and camera angles are recycled -- watching carefully, you'll notice that there is a consistant pattern in editing for almost every show. Also, what's up with FANSERVICE (pantie shots, bath scenes (non sexual my ass), and random titillized nude shots) appearing everywhere?

And don't get me started on the ANIMATION itself. Walk-cycles are awful and completely unrealistic. Character movements (with certain exeptions of action sequences, because aparantly animating action in anime is more important than anything else) are rigid and lifeless. And on top of that, the animation runs at 16 FPS. It's true that Western cartoons omit lots of the visual detail that anime has per frame, but animation is meant to be an illusion of life. Western cartoons (those that utilize classical animation, not limited) run at 24 FPS, which makes everything much more fluid. That doesn't necessarily mean illusion of life, but it certainly gives additional room for its development.

I can understand why peeps like Morshem get tired of anime. At the moment, Western animation sucks just as much. Everything has been put in Flash and turned into limited animation.. 3D as everyone pointed out, is being recycled from one release to the next.

P.S. DO NOT WATCH DEVILMAN.
P.P.S. And do NOT watch it just to contradict my advice. If you find yourself that curiousity really bites you in the ass, watch the first OVA. You'll probably stop there. For the love of god don't watch the third OVA, unless you want to have nightmares for 3 months.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2007-11-07 at 19:25.
Old 2007-11-07, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
You've got a TV ?
Why wouldn't I?
Old 2007-11-07, 19:47
Neko

cuz you cannot invoke rmi on a tv. duh.
Old 2007-11-07, 19:49
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
Why wouldn't I?
Comon, Linux fanatic, 26, probably living alone in small apartment without room for a TV.

I mean you can download what you want and you don't need subtitles or anything, so you paying for a TV seemed out of question for me.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-11-07, 19:52

I have actually two TVs in my room and one TV in the common room
Old 2007-11-07, 20:38
Classic

Bugger all to watch on tv, but they are still usefull for games consoles, dvd's ect.
Capture cards can be too much effort sometimes.

Quote:
But anime, on the other hand, is only "mature" in the sense that it has the occasional violence, nudity, sex, and language...
...and a hell of a lot more mature/complex storylines.

Seriously, even the best Disney stuff is just a black and white portral of good vs evil.
(Evil normaly having a horribly ugly look too it). This is what bugs me about western animation, we have much more premative reprentations of good/evil.
Maybe this is the flipside...Anime is often pretenious, Western animation tends to be dumbed down in the extreme.

Not to say the more complex plotlines are always better then the simple ones either, but they are at least trying.

The high's of anime are much higher then the highs of western animation, they dont rule out storylines as being "too complex" for children.
(which is laughable logic, given the simplistic nature of most adult western movies...).

The lows of anime are trueing awfull, granted.

But then again, even dirt-cheap animated stuff like "Lupin The 3rd" gives me a hell of a lot more enjoyment then, say, a typical warner brothers cartoon.
Its not high-art by any means, but it does treat itself like a proper tv show. Its not allowed to have the same plot each week, but only change the slap-stick moments.

I have only watched very little anime, so I'm not questioning most of it is rubbish.
But what I have seen seems a lot better then equilivent western stuff.

Quote:
There are certainly some excellent shows (Cowboy Bebop) and I don't even think that Miyazaki's work should be put along side most anime shows, as it is so increadibly different in delivery.
yes, but

Quote:
Anime does have a more or less consistant style that has persisted throughout decades. Certain things change, like the general shape of faces, size of the eyes (sometimes), and little things like that. But for the most part, it's the same. There's nothing wrong with that either. That's why it's labeled "anime" in the first place,
...is what makes it Anime.

Good or bad their are general cultural trends in the way things are drawn.
These apply just as much to Ghilbi's high-quality stuff as to lower brow smut-fests.

So if that is part of what we define as Anime, we cant really say "Anime sucks, but Ghilbi isnt really anime"
Old 2007-11-07, 21:29
weee

Lightwing - You can't possibly make a comment like that and then expect me not to watch it. Besides, why did you watch it yourself? And why (the hell) did you watch hundreds of animes?

Anyway I'm still against that whole "cartoon factory" business anime is. Art should be free, not restricted by genres and categories, and other restrictions. (did I mention Anime is very restricted?) Genres are good to slide things into categories after they've been created. The creators shouldn't even be bothered by that word.