Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-11-09, 00:00
Magic Ball Master

The anime series Excel Saga has a parodic episode about western animation - like the classic black/white mickey mouse animation and such.

Sure, anime has certain common style elements, like big eyes and colourful hair. But that's not even true for all of them, and there's big differences in the styles depending on the type of anime and its audience. Yes, there is a lot of crappy, cheaply produced anime with very standard styles and minimal animations - trick is to find the better ones, and that's not really that hard.

I've watched a lot of anime since late high school, and while I'm well over the peak of my anime watching days, I still at least follow a couple of currently airing series most of the time. It's fairly easy for me now to judge whether I'll like a series or not based on little information (like: picture+genre+rating). If you don't have a lot of experience in this I can imagine it's a bit harder to find the better anime that you like. But I think everybody who enjoys cartoons/animations will really be able to find some anime he or she will like, there's truly a large amount of really good anime out there - and, unfortunately, also heaps of bad stuff.
Old 2007-11-09, 00:27
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
The left one is rather obvious , but the two right ones?

It's one of my favourite movies, made of four short stories.
You can tell the right one is influenced by anime. The middle one is a lot better.

The semi-realistic monotone shadow - I don't like it. It's at the same time realistic and alien.
By alien I don't mean strange or different, but more like non-emotional. It puts emphasis on / draws attention to details that are irrelevant to the scene.

Check this out:

When you look at this picture, your brain instantly interpreters it as a face. That's just how the brain works, because of the area in the brain that is in charge of recognizing people/creatures.

Anime sometimes simply ignores this simple fact.

edit: just so anyone won't jump - I'm still talking about the monotone shadow. It just makes some things alienated while trying to make them realistic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	face.png‎
Views:	107
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	7169  
Old 2007-11-09, 00:43
Magic Ball Master

Your post reminds me of this.

(Genshiken is an anime about anime fanboys.)
Old 2007-11-09, 00:49
weee

Oh, how cool, an anime character agrees with me
Old 2007-11-09, 00:54
weee

Oh, I just watched it again

Well he's right, anime people do put much emphasis on the reproductive organs in their drawings.
Old 2007-11-09, 00:54
LOLwut?

Great stuff Wako!!

I'll try to see that series in the future

I liked a lot, I want more of this

Old 2007-11-09, 00:56
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
If you show me an anime drawing without telling me where it's came from, I'll still know it's anime.
So if someone shows you a drawing which suits your idea of what anime is, you'll know it's anime. wow.

If someone showed you some anime which didn't suit your stereotypical idea of what anime is, you wouldn't.

Well I'll be, the above statements apply to any form of animation in the world!
Old 2007-11-09, 00:58
weee

Kin - I don't get you. You claim that anime is not a style? Or what? What's your point?

Either way, I'll be back tomorrow, gotta catch some Z's
Old 2007-11-09, 01:06
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Well he's right, anime people do put much emphasis on the reproductive organs in their drawings.
...............what?
Old 2007-11-09, 01:16
Party animal

Quote:
Kin - I don't get you. You claim that anime is not a style? Or what? What's your point?

Either way, I'll be back tomorrow, gotta catch some Z's
My point:

1) anime = japanese animation

2) japanese animation is just as diverse as (for example) american animation

3)If you want to choose a certain portion of anime and call it a style, and say "this certain portion of japanese animation is what I mean when I say 'anime' ", go ahead. Let's call your definition of anime "typical anime"
But in that case:

- You're idea of the anime "style" is based on the number of anime shows you've watched, which I understand is small. So you can't really know just what percent of anime suits this style.

- You're complaining that all the shows that belong to this style are alike.
Well of course they're alike, they're the same style. That what belonging to a style means. If they wouldn't be alike, then they wouldn't be the same style. And there ARE anime shows which are different from this "typical style", so not all anime is the same.

- There IS NO anime art style. There are many styles.
Maybe one of them is more popular than the others.
Old 2007-11-09, 08:40
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
...............what?
The don't bother making the face look realistic, but they sure put effort in making certain other parts look very realistic

Kin - This is not anime: yet it is drawn by a Japanese artist.

Ye ye ye, I get it, the official definition of Anime is "Japanese animation", and so on and so forth... but you know what I mean. Don't you?
Old 2007-11-09, 10:51
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
The don't bother making the face look realistic, but they sure put effort in making certain other parts look very realistic
...what anime did you watch?
I don't recall seeing high resolution genitals even in ecchi.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-11-09, 10:54
Party animal

Quote:

Kin - This is not anime: yet it is drawn by a Japanese artist.

Ye ye ye, I get it, the official definition of Anime is "Japanese animation", and so on and so forth... but you know what I mean. Don't you?
Yes, you mean that most anime is the same style.
But you can only base this on your very limited knowledge of anime.

Also, the pic you posted doesn't negate anything I said, and in fact backs it up, don't you see that?

Last edited by Reek; 2007-11-09 at 11:01.
Old 2007-11-09, 12:56
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
Yes, you mean that most anime is the same style.
But you can only base this on your very limited knowledge of anime.

Also, the pic you posted doesn't negate anything I said, and in fact backs it up, don't you see that?
We have a little Miss Understanding.

1st. I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just trying to prove my point.
2nd. This image means that it's an example of Japanese animation (if it was animation) I wouldn't recognize as anime. I'm just trying to say that I don't care where the animation came from, let it be Japan, America, Kenya or Iran. My denotation of the word "anime" refers to the style recognized as anime, while your denotation refers to any animation comes from Japan. We just have a different vocabulary.

Lennie - I meant that it's too bad they don't put as much effort in the face as they sometimes do in the rest of the body. But I'm sure you'll come up with a sarcastic remark to negate whatever I say, so I don't know why I'm still bothering really.
Old 2007-11-09, 13:23
Party animal

Please explain this style recognized as anime,
and why this particular style should be recognized as anime and not other japanese animation styles.

I'm saying this style recognized as anime is a stereotype.
Old 2007-11-09, 13:29
weee

Well, you just gave me a difficult task. There are many characteristics that build up a style. I've not enough knowledge to describe exactly what they are.

Bottom line - If you can tell what country it came from, that means the artist is too influenced by others. I'm a supporter of originality.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Sure, but its a social/cultural thing, you can have a thousand different styles but still have a common preportion trend between them.
Or focus more on different elements of the face ect.

I also highly support originality, but escapeing from cultural conditioning is extremely hard.
It applys just as much to western animation as to Anime as well.
Neither style is "right", they are just different ways to represent ideas in image.

Allthough I think in general anime is better at realistic charecters and Western more fantasy charecters (animals, ect).
Noir-style settings in western style dont work well in general, but, on the other hand, talking animals dont work too well in anime. (the more realistic shadeing style dosnt help as your dealing with non-realitys, and to make it worse you lose the 'bouncy'ness because you have more work to do per frame).

Quote:
Well he's right, anime people do put much emphasis on the reproductive organs in their drawings
Yes, but even they do it less then typical western comic book artists
Some superhero images can be real WTF when you look at them closely.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:06
Party animal

CF:

Again, you say the animes that suit the stereotype are recognizable.
Yes they are, obviously, since that's what a stereotype means.

You're basically complaining against unoriginal animation, which is fine,
but what makes you think there's more unoriginal animation in japan than there is elsewhere?

Also, an art historian can look at a painting and be able to not only tell where it's from, but also in what period in history it was made.
Gee, how unoriginal Michaelangelo and all those other guys were
Old 2007-11-09, 14:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
oh, my diffinition of anime;

Typicaly two-tone shadeing, thin lines, more detail per frame then western animation, but less frames.
Higher use of "abstracts" in backgrounds to express movement.
Faces have different preportions to western animation, typicaly much bigger eyes, (showing all of the eye too).
Figure preportions are normaly more correctly scaled (eg, head/body), but features can normaly less well scaled.

Of course theres no hard line between what is/isnt anime.
But those are the things I associate with anime-esq stuff, particularly the preportions.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:12
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
CF:

Again, you say the animes that suit the stereotype are recognizable.
Yes they are, obviously, since that's what a stereotype means.

You're basically complaining against unoriginal animation, which is fine,
but what makes you think there's more unoriginal animation in japan than there is elsewhere?

Also, an art historian can look at a painting and be able to not only tell where it's from, but also in what period in history it was made.
Gee, how unoriginal Michaelangelo and all those other guys were
I like to think that if I'll become an animator one day, no one would be able to relate my animations to Israel.

There's a difference between a stereotype and a drawing style which is consisted of common characteristics. I'm just talking about the "anime" people refer to when they say "I'm an ANIME fan". Are they fans of every animation drawn by a Japanese guy? No, they're fans of the style.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:25
Do the evolution.

Quote:
"I'm an ANIME fan".

Heh, I'm in general a huge fan of all animation, however it just so happens to be that I watch more Japanese animation, becouse it is superior plot-wise, as well as graphically to the vast majority of anything western animation can produce . Also, I somehow think that the western animation has a lot more mediocre mainstream animation than Japan has, all those running vegetables and talking animals... shit.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2007-11-09 at 15:43.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:29
Party animal

Quote:
I like to think that if I'll become an animator one day, no one would be able to relate my animations to Israel.

There's a difference between a stereotype and a drawing style which is consisted of common characteristics. I'm just talking about the "anime" people refer to when they say "I'm an ANIME fan". Are they fans of every animation drawn by a Japanese guy? No, they're fans of the style.
1)That would be easy, because barely any animation comes out of israel.
If any other country would make so much animation as Japan does, that country's style would be recognizable as well.

2)There is no anime style, man. What you call the "anime style" is one out of many styles in Japanese animation that is more popular than others.

Please stop using the term "anime style", there is no single anime style, there are many.
I understand that when you say "anime style" you're talking about "typical anime", but that just means you're accusing typical anime of being typical.
And there is a typical style of animation in every country that makes a lot of animation, not just in Japan.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:31
weee

But if it isn't a style why does it even warrant its own word?
Old 2007-11-09, 14:46
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Lenny - I meant that it's too bad they don't put as much effort in the face as they sometimes do in the rest of the body. But I'm sure you'll come up with a sarcastic remark to negate whatever I say, so I don't know why I'm still bothering really.
Yes I got what you meant, what I said in response to that was that you should find detailed genitals only in hentai and I haven't stumbled upon that even in ecchi, and in the end hentai is just fulfilling its purpose.

What was sarcastic about that?
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-11-09, 14:48
weee

Anime: http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpap...e/anime_23.jpg
You can find that the body is nonproportionally detailed compared to the face.