Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-04-26, 21:20
weee

Good point. Any game that has real freedom should allow brutal violence.
Old 2008-04-26, 21:34
Idyllic + whimsical

Freedom is not being limited, and so you're not being limited by self-righteous principles.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-04-26, 21:50
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
ooops I saw a major visual flaw .... the characters just have pre-defined animation upon player input, but whenever they go UUUPPPP in the air, be it they are falling from a high altitude or the get propulsed 10 stories high cause of an explosion, the "AAARRGHHH" animation is not there anymore, instead being replaced by free physics ... so what I'm trying to say is that when you fall or get thrown up in the air, the player looks like a lifeless zombie cause all his body parts such as arms, legs, etc. act weird ... it's like he's a rag doll or a plastic puppet with no self control on its limbs you can see this happening in the GTA IV review on IGN, when a guy gets shot in the head, falling down from a metal thing and there's another one, when the main player gets too close to an exploding car and the explosion sets him UPPP in the air
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-04-26, 21:55
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
ooops I saw a major visual flaw .... the characters just have pre-defined animation upon player input, but whenever they go UUUPPPP in the air, be it they are falling from a high altitude or the get propulsed 10 stories high cause of an explosion, the "AAARRGHHH" animation is not there anymore, instead being replaced by free physics ... so what I'm trying to say is that when you fall or get thrown up in the air, the player looks like a lifeless zombie cause all his body parts such as arms, legs, etc. act weird ... it's like he's a rag doll or a plastic puppet with no self control on its limbs you can see this happening in the GTA IV review on IGN, when a guy gets shot in the head, falling down from a metal thing and there's another one, when the main player gets too close to an exploding car and the explosion sets him UPPP in the air
I think that's part of the Euphoria system. I wonder how well it has been implemented, since the vids I've seen for Force Unleashed appear to have more refined player movements (as far as such things like players falling). However, thus far, from the videos I've seen, I'm quite impressed with the "weight" of the characters and they really seem to have natural, fluid motions that previous GTA's were lacking.

I will, of course, post a full review when I get this game on Tuesday.
Old 2008-04-27, 01:04
Twinsunian Quetch

yep, the weight is definitely good
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-04-27, 01:22
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
You guys know it was leaked to torrents a few days ago, right?

Not my type of game.
Old 2008-04-27, 02:17
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post

Not my type of game.
PC version?
Old 2008-04-27, 02:22
Father of Shoda

no, 360 ( I don't know about the other console versions)

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-04-27, 10:16
Twinsunian Quetch

AAAAAAA I know !!!!!!!! I can play it DAMN IT !!! there is a console cafe recently opened in our city ... it has Wii and X360 ..... WOOO it's so cool I'll tell the guy over there to buy it if he didn't already man I'm SOO excited
Old 2008-04-27, 11:17
Twinsunian Quetch

GTA IV - Tiny Review

Ok, so I've seen some leaked videos of hours of gameplay footage and it was almost as if I have played the game anyway, I'm just gonna BRIEFLY summarize some important aspects of the game that I have been able to see:

- The game, as astonishing as it may look on the graphics side, still has a major annoyance in the fact that it has a VERY short distance clipping ... if you drive around a car, you can clearly see how trees and other street objects "pop up" out of nowhere ... and I may say that this ruins the feeling of the game which finally gave us the sensation that there were no more stupid limitations as these ... at least a depth fog would have been good but it seems Rockstar decided to let Houdini in charge of object appearances

- Due to the high car geometry and level of polygons, the damage looks more real, and you can also see blood stains on the windshield and metal scratches or burnings on the hood and everything BUT there's still a very frustrating thing: when you hit objects at a rather low speed, the car stays intact even though you've just blown away a street lamp ...

- The objects physics are BAD !!! since GTA3 nothing has been improved on this side ... when you hit street poles or breakable objects, they just fly away as a whole piece or just explode ... so the really nasty visuals are when you send a street lamp flying in the air, intact or a tree just explodes into tiny matches and crayons

- The special effects are extremely cool, the quality is very very good BUT they are a bit exagerated ... so when you hit your car onto some small objects, the usual metal spark now looks a bit like a small explosion ... not a major thing but still ...

- While the physics are awesome, the player animation is HORRIBLE ... of course, as long as you walk around, run or shoot, etc. everything that is based on player input is GREAT ... but as soon as your player falls or gets thrown up in the air by an explosion, he looks more like a rag dool than a living human ....

- The hand-to-hand combat is EXTREMELY .... how should I put it .... wrong ... all is the same as before ... you hit the air most of the times, all looks stiffy, when you come close to your enemy, it's like you guys are separated by an invisible collision wall ... that IS normal but still, the effect is WAYY to noticeable ... also, you hit certain parts of the body and the enemy seems to be in pain in other regions .. so for example you hit him in the chest and he fakes a pain in the lower abdomen, etc. also, I would have expected a bruise system to be implemented cause it's nasty to beat the player for 10 minutes and yet he is dead, he looks intact ... also the all-so-annoying zombie effect is present in the sense that you beat the shit out of someone and they just get up ready to go with no pain whatsoever

- Another ANNOYING as hell thing is that certain objects such as small trees can't be broken, not even with a tank and it really makes your vehicle go from 200 MPH to 0 MPH in just 1 second ... it's really odd cause you'd expect that tree to break since you broke ones twice the size of that one ...

- You now have a cool yet useless feature now: you can customize your cell phone with ringtones and skins, etc. you also have the ability to call people in certain situations so it's not like in Vice City where the phone served just as a mission giving method ...

- You now have the ability to enter most of the buildings which is REALLY cool ... it gives you a sense of animation as the buildings are not just some lifeless cubes anymore ...

- The overall sense of realism has increased though I kind of dislike it ... the arcade style of the previous GTAs made the whole game be ... you know ... GTA ... now there are no more "fun" and "easter-egg-like" things to do ... also the atmosphere is really sober cause the main character is russian ... and as far as I'm concerned, Tommy Vercetti and Carl Johnson were WAYY cooler mainly cause they were real americans AND funny people ... I mean shit Tommy was italian but he was a hell of a lot of fun to hear ... now
Niko Bellic is a strict-to-the-point guy who doesn't talk too much and just handles business ... I hate him

- The radio is NOT what it used to be ... frankly the radio was 50% of the atmosphere as you got to listen to Fernando, the crazy latino guy who pretended to be a love doctor or Laslo, in whoms radio show all kinds of crazy and weird people were being invited, arguing and fighting over idiotic topics ... pretty much like the Off-Topic MBN so now, NO ... there's no Laslo, no Fernando and NO great music ... just average music which seems more like a city noise, making me turn the radio off instead of feeling good ....

- Almost all of the cool features of San Andreas have disappeared without a trace ... no swimming as far as I can see, no eatting, no going to the gym, not barber shop, no tattoos, no nothing ... I mean I know he ain't a guy who would make tattoos but who the hell wanted Niko in the first place

Wel that's about it ... hope I'll discover more things in the near future

Graphics: 9
Music: 7
Physics: 8.5
Features: 7.5
Gameplay: 9
Atmosphere: 8.5
Realism: 9.5

Overall: 8.5

Last edited by Quetch; 2008-04-27 at 11:37.
Old 2008-04-27, 14:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

Not my type of game.
Yes, but for the 360 version...the PS3 version (thanks to the seemingly anti-pirate, thus far, nature of the PS3) is still under wraps. And you can't go online, Rockstar is closely monitoring accounts and tags that go online with the game early, and has already said it will ban users who went on with illegal copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
PC version?
The game is not available for the PC, only the 360 or PS3.
Old 2008-04-27, 15:58
Father of Shoda

I think it will be in a year or something.

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-04-27, 16:01

Quote:
And you can't go online, Rockstar is closely monitoring accounts and tags that go online with the game early, and has already said it will ban users who went on with illegal copies.
Surely no ones dumb enough to do that?
Old 2008-04-27, 19:01
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Surely no ones dumb enough to do that?
Apparently not. There are several people on 360 boards posting screens and such. It's dumb though, Rockstar sent out stuff to press outlets for them to give their Gamertags out ahead of time, and if it wasn't on the list, it would be permabanned. This isn't a big deal for PSN, since there are no achievements, but I know 360 folks are big into that sort of stuff, so if your account is locked = teh suck for only an extra day or two ahead of time with the game.
Old 2008-04-28, 12:20
Zebrazilla

I might give GTA IV a try sometime later this week and I feel rather excited about it. :>

GTA 1 is by far my favourite installment of GTA and, I would say, one of the games in which I've had the most fun. GTA 2 is quite excellent as well. I especially love the steering and the dystopic environment. Vice City is quite neat, as well, but falls short due to a number of issues. I never liked GTA 3 that much. It felt unpolished and as if they had to go into the realm of three dimensions just because of the enormous hype at the time. San Andreas is the one that I like the least - it steers away from the original feeling of the game too much, it doesn't feel anything similar to San Andreas in GTA 1. While the other games, Vice City and GTA 3, managed to pull it off rather nicely. And as I stated earlier, more so in Vice City.

GTA IV seems to take a whole different approach than GTA 3 and subsequent games and might appeal to me much more. Maybe this time I won't have GTA 1 and 2 stuck in my head when comparing the gameplay and environment and just enjoy it as an evolved version. Sort of like how GTA 3 should have been if it were made the right way.

Then again, I can't really express myself regarding GTA IV as of yet. I'll just wait and see. :>

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-04-28, 12:49
Magic Ball Master

I didn't like San Andreas either. GTA IV should really be great, it looks like a billion miles away from GTA III in terms of concept and gameplay, they've really changed things (with the exception of the ultra-violent missions, lol).
Old 2008-04-28, 21:19
Twinsunian Quetch

I LOVE Vice City's guts and it's the best installment EVER !!! GTA 3 was awesome too and SA was not so good ... it was another type of game and I feel GTA IV is the same ... I know next gen looks good and all but if u read my small review, you will see why
Old 2008-04-28, 22:32
Idyllic + whimsical

Vice City is indeed the best from the 3D series, I'd like to try GTA IV but I have a feeling that like with previous 3D GTA games I'll play for a few hours and I'll lose interest.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-04-28, 22:50
Twinsunian Quetch

I'd play it for a few weeks just to see how far the next gen architecture goes and it would be a pretty new experience as a XBOX360 or PS3 game, especially being a GTA one, would offer us some never before seen stuff ... I really would wanna test this one out HARD
Old 2008-04-29, 01:53
Magic Ball Master

Well, since I'm getting the game tomorrow morning, I'm going to play the #%$* out of it, and give a review tomorrow evening.
Old 2008-04-29, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Well, since I'm getting the game tomorrow morning, I'm going to play the #%$* out of it, and give a review tomorrow evening.
Put the review on Darkflame's Rateoholic (beta).
Old 2008-04-29, 02:15
Magic Ball Master

Wasn't planning on getting that into it, but I guess I could, sure!
Old 2008-04-29, 10:59
LOLwut?

The game is already here!!

Who have a copy??

Old 2008-04-29, 11:29
Zebrazilla

Talking about GTA IV - I read about these guys who had pitched a tent outside a store for about 2 weeks to buy an Xbox 360 and GTA IV for only 1sek.

In other words - 1 Swedish krona = 0.107506725 Euros

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-04-29, 12:09
Twinsunian Quetch

last time this happened was before Doom 3's release only those guys stood there for a week if I recall correctly

Tags
games, videogames