Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-08-28, 21:20
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
"Bring on the מוחק"?
Is that a word?
Old 2008-08-28, 21:43
weee

No, but it looks like Hebrew.
Old 2008-08-28, 23:29

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
If I recall correctly the war started at the end of the '90s or beginning of the 21st century.
The whole black&white commercials thing is just a homage to government broadcasts that used to air in the US, and now it's like the calling card of Fallout but doesn't represent the actual technological level of the universe within in, although some places went back a few centuries in those terms.

Jasiek I think we should wait to see the final product, like I said before it might end up to be a post apocalyptic Deus Ex, which it still nice.
As long as the freedom of choice and the Fallout theme remains I'm happy.
The one bit I really hate about Fallout duology is how hard the games tried to make you fail. Half of quests couldn't be accessed due to your stats and in Fallout 2, once you set your stats at the begining of the game you can barely raise them by a few points. Quest items would never be labled so you'd end up selling them or droping them in some godforsaken place only to find out that you need them to finish a mission. Other times you'd finish a mission only to find out that the result made everything 10x worse. Talking NPCs would often be hidden among crowds of identical looking mute NPCs, which means that you'd have to click on every single character to see which one could give you a quest. In my first two runs of the Fallout games, I missed half the quests because I mistook special NPCs for generic ones. I suppose you can call this a challange. I think of it as a pain in the ass.

I love the Fallout series as a concept, but in terms of the actual experience it was a headache. Black Isle really pulled off the gameplay aspect with Planescape: Torment, which is just as challanging as Fallout but not nearly as annoying.

As for Fallout 3, I'm just a little bit skeptic. Exploring post-nuclear ruins in full 3d seems fantastic (the sceneries from Fallout 3 are mouth watering), but Bethesda has been known to make very stale games (Morrowind, Oblivion). The thing that made Fallout duology shine was its bold approach toward storytelling -- no spoonfeeding / very believable environment. Ever since Knights of Old Republic, western RPGs started producing mellow worlds, as if the developers are afraid to hurt the player's feelings.

Bethesda has always tried to make the player feel like KING. But that approach doesn't work for Fallout. Fallout thrives by producing a harsh world where the player is a tiny spec. If Fallout 3 achieves that plus great gameplay, I'll be sure to add it to my collection.
Old 2008-08-29, 01:28
weee

Yeah, I liked how you're not a godlike hero in Fallout 2. Makes the game challenging.

About the battles, Fallout Tactics managed to convert almost the exact balancing system of turn-based to real-time, so I hope Fallout 3 will also do that.

I actually remember liking the fact some NPC's looked exactly like generic characters, it was cool not to know how important someone is just by looking at their sprite. (and also - there were unique sprites characters that weren't very important)

Oblivion was a lifeless eye candy, and yet it got the best scores in all major review sites. Conspiracy? Hopefully Fallout 3 won't be anything like it.
Old 2008-08-29, 05:29

All major / hyped AAA games get crazy good scores (Halo games, Bioshock, Half-Life 2, Elder Scrolls, Gears of War, etc).

If a game has enough hype, super expensive production values, and a gameplay system that works then all the editors start raving as if it's the second comming of Jesus. It's all psychological.

I have a feeling that Fallout 3 will be mellow compared to the first two (but I won't judge until I play it). The feeling stems from observing a trend of "deep" games this decade. It seems that popularity of games has caused publishers to cater towards casual gamers. Which means even "deep" games have to be dumbed down. Look at Bioshock for example. Suppose to be a very profound game, yes? But it leads you by the hand as if you're a newborn.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2008-08-29 at 05:57.
Old 2008-08-29, 05:52
Idyllic + whimsical

Fallout is indeed pretty sadistic with it's difficulty, that's true, and it would be nice if quest items were marked in some way.
About the look of important NPCs I think it's ok how they look like everybody else, I always like to go through every character around me to see what they have to say, even if it's just some pointless one-liner.
When you think about it, if Fallout were real then important characters wouldn't glow and have arrows over them.

(but that's already a different discussion about the borders of reality in gaming etc. etc.)
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-08-29, 06:03

I think it's just a matter of art. Black Isle was able to solve their problem in Planescape:Torment by giving most unique NPCs outfits of slightly different color/design/etc. They also managed to solve the issue by giving environments a variety. That makes NPCs easier to find. In Fallout 1/2 when somebody tells you "Jimmy's in that shack to the north," you may see 4 identical looking shacks with 20 identical looking people.

But I'm not dissing Fallout for that. I love the games and I think they set a damn good example for all the RPGs that followed.
Old 2008-08-30, 05:47
Idyllic + whimsical

For that thing I actually remember reading somewhere that when the original Fallout 3 was being developed, Black Isle were thrilled to use 3D models because in Fallout 1 and 2 for every character they needed to draw every animation and having the character hold every item, so I guess that's the reason why they didn't make more NPC looks before.
Old 2008-08-30, 10:32
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
You know, I'm supprised in ye-old-2d-days that 2d sprite randomisation tech wasnt developed.
I'm sure it wouldnt have been too hard.
Just have a bunch of heads/body/legs/overlays, and have a few preset hue variations to each.
You could have each charecter unique.

They are just starting to do this to some 3D games. (Project Offset, for instance).
But it could have been done 2D back then.

----
I agree with games being made easier too.
Not sure its to do with casuals so much as the hardcore getting themselfs more casual. (at least, less patient to learn, and wanting more flashy effects).
Its good that most games these days are never unfairly hard. (random death points), but it has gone far too much hand-holding as late.
Almost to the point where any game with a puzzle your told how to do it
Old 2008-08-30, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
You know, I'm supprised in ye-old-2d-days that 2d sprite randomisation tech wasnt developed.
I'm sure it wouldnt have been too hard.
Just have a bunch of heads/body/legs/overlays, and have a few preset hue variations to each.
You could have each charecter unique.
But I thought they started to do that with games like Torment, Icewindale, etc.

I also thought that the 2d sprites in Fallouts were screencaps of 3d models, with occasional 2d animation for death sequences and paintover. No?
Old 2008-08-30, 22:41
Master of Science & Magic

random is still quite new in games
there a problem with random: QA (and not just testing)
Old 2008-08-31, 05:21
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
I also thought that the 2d sprites in Fallouts were screencaps of 3d models, with occasional 2d animation for death sequences and paintover. No?
Nope, all 2D drawn.
Old 2008-08-31, 19:28

That's insane. The models look so consistant I thought it was 3d screencaps.
Old 2008-09-08, 23:36
Horza

"In a world where secrets never tell the truth, in a great conspiracy to rid the world of Frederick Raynal and the master gamers of the universe, F4 presents a personal computer game *insert pause here* that isn't an MMORPG...."

Empire of Sports *rated PG-13*

http://www.empireofsports.com/
http://www.gamershell.com/news_53286.html

RIP Don LaFontaine
Old 2008-09-09, 00:04
weee

Not an MMORPG, but a second-life style game with MMO sports games in it. Doesn't seem all that exciting.

-sigh-
Old 2008-09-09, 02:48
Do the evolution.

Yeah it doesn't. I REALLY like the modelling and texturing there though... kinda BG&Eish.
Old 2008-09-09, 17:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Style is really nice indeed.
Old 2008-09-09, 17:36

Has anybody played Spore?

It's gotten a lot of trashy treatment due to the whole DRM thingie. Amazon has given it a one star rating by nearly 1000 users (last I checked).
Old 2008-09-10, 21:56
>:C

Send a message via AIM to Mouserz Send a message via MSN to Mouserz Send a message via Yahoo to Mouserz
haha oh that silly amazon.
anyway the reason they voted it down is because they toned the original game down to be kid friendly and they completely removed the fish part of the game.
but its still pretty great.
Old 2008-09-11, 12:47
Classic

I dont think it ever had a sea-life part of the game, only the planton like bit.
I remember Will Wright was questioned if it would have sea-life, and he said something like it was too hard for them to juggle their existing segments so they didnt want to put another section in.
I expect we might see it in an inevitable sequal in a few years, along with more winged creatures.
--
Incidently, for those with Wii's, you can download a demo of the DS version.
Seems better then I expected. Odd style.
Old 2008-09-14, 05:14
weee

Since I'm the only one who uploaded this Fallout 3 trailer to YouTube (it's not a trailer that's meant to be downloaded, so I used a swf video steam catcher app to get it), it has a lot of view. So I checked the new "Breach Viewer Privacy" "Insights" feature in YouTube, and it's quite interesting.

For example, 91% of the people who viewed the trailer are male and only 9% are female. (kinda disappointing tbh)
Majority of female viewers are over 30 years old while with male viewers it's the other way around.
So far that trailer is most popular in countries: United States, Finland, Russia, Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Poland, Croatia (in that order)

[end random crap]
Old 2008-09-14, 23:32
Idyllic + whimsical

Hold Me Closer, Giant Dancer
A simplified version of the PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus, I personally found it cute at first and got bored after 2 enemies, but some of you might like it.

Just found Shadow of the Bossus as well, more fancy but didn't try it yet.
Old 2008-09-15, 16:31
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Star Wars the Force Unleashed gets out tomorrow!
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/
Old 2008-09-15, 17:13

Maybe it's the pessimist in me but I looked at the first level walkthrough video and I'm not impressed.

This is a contrast to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight, which blew my socks off the first time I saw them.
Old 2008-09-15, 17:57
Magic Ball Master

Been playing Bomberman Blast today, it's simple and fun. It was released last Friday. I'm not sure I'd want a full version of the game with a story mode with a bullshit plot (your Miis get abducted) for at least four times the Wii Ware price.

Tags
games, videogames