Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-05-29, 00:41
Zebrazilla

Let me paraphrase someone; Ripping of things is the only way of creating something rad!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-05-29, 00:43
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
Let me paraphrase someone; Ripping of things is the only way of creating something rad!
Damn, I agree.
Old 2008-05-29, 01:04
Previously Link

I'm choked, WTF ?
Edit: after watching the trailer, I'm a bit reassured. Yet, something doesn't feel too right. I'm expecting a lot from the musics. I hope it's still Christophe Heral. I say: wait'n'see.

Last edited by Lupin; 2008-05-29 at 01:21.
Old 2008-05-29, 02:19
Little Bastard Warrior.

Okay fuck BG&E 1. I've spent the last 2½ hours trying to make that game run more than 10 fps on a wholly capable laptop. I've installed new drivers and tried every advice I could scour up. Nothing. Perhaps I can find it in EB games tomorrow for PS2 (though I'd rather for the cube...)
Old 2008-05-29, 03:13
Zebrazilla

The engine, Jade, was running its first incarnation with BG&E. Hence it is quite unstable and not very jolly when it comes to running under certain specifications. And unfortunately there is no patch for this.

It's pretty much a trail and error process. I'm pretty sure there's one way or another to make it run on your laptop. On way or another...

It is worth the hassle, though. I assure you.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2008-05-29, 03:16

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
BGE was a failure on PCs. Even if you could get the game to run, there's several big glitches that could force you to restart the game from last saved point.

My gripe about BGE2 is that the personalities of the characters appear to be different. Because the trailers don't reveal much, I can't say anything for certain, but this small bit of presentation just give me the feeling that all of the characters are going to be more "tough 'n cool." Which may turn out to work fine, it'll just be a completely different genre for the series.
Old 2008-05-29, 03:18
Do the evolution.

Strange, I had it running on many different "configurations" of my PC over the years, and not once did I have hardware problems...

The trailer has something eerie in it though, like the ingame cutscenes would have this "brief" thing about them, I can't put my finger on it... but it's very reminiscent of recent bad Ancel games... and I hope I'm just deluded here :P. I like it nonetheless though and stay optimistic...
Old 2008-05-29, 07:21
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Lightwing: YOU ARE RIGHT !!! I feel the same thing ... they're all macho and shit but I don't like this approach ... and Jasiek: you remember now what I said? that is why I had to disable all features
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-05-29, 09:14
.II

Send a message via MSN to .TakaM
although they haven't shown much, everything so far has been something I do not want.

New art, although it could be worse is still a step in that crappy generic 'hardcore' direction, and no Wii release is just a slap in the face to all the gamecube BG&E players.
Old 2008-05-29, 09:47
Registered Schnitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
My gripe about BGE2 is that the personalities of the characters appear to be different. Because the trailers don't reveal much, I can't say anything for certain, but this small bit of presentation just give me the feeling that all of the characters are going to be more "tough 'n cool." Which may turn out to work fine, it'll just be a completely different genre for the series.
You can't really see Jade at all, and just to remind you - the first game also begins with Jade meditating (as she seems to be doing in this trailer). Pey'j doesn't seem to behave much differently than in the first game as well...
Old 2008-05-29, 10:46
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Strange, I had it running on many different "configurations" of my PC over the years, and not once did I have hardware problems...
I had two attempts in playing BG&E since it was released with 2 different computers, both failed me. While the first time was bareable but made the game crash, the second was worse with loads of annoying glitches and a certain sound looping over and over.

I need to get the game for the PS2 some time...on the PC I never got past the race before the slaughterhouse.

About the personality of the characters in the teaser, I don't think you can learn much but I didn't feel Pey'j is any different than what he used to be, just because it's in the desert and there's a modern western feeling to it doesn't mean the characters themselves are different.

What I think is that after not liking the teaser for one reason or another you're not biased and hating every single thing that might change the precious formula of the first game.

And even so, making a different game isn't too bad, there are more than one or two games that decided to change their style and managed to come out ok after all.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-05-29, 12:33
Look beyond reality.

I thought about it, and I think that if LBA3 is going to be made it would probably be in the macho/realism style as well. It's possible, it's eyecandy, it sells better. I think it would be somewhat in the style of Prince Of Persia SoT.

Anyway back to BGE. I can't wait to see what Jade looks like. She was really nice in the first game (and very cartoony) so I hope they did a good job in 'updating her graphics' (that sounds wrong.)
I've been in a collaborative project right after BGE that wanted to make an animation of the game. Never finished, so it was much like the RMP. Anyway they made a pretty decent highpoly Jade.
Old 2008-05-29, 13:33
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Beyond Good and Evil should indeed be played on a console, PC version sucked.
(same for the Prince of Persia games)

Quote:
And even so, making a different game isn't too bad, there are more than one or two games that decided to change their style and managed to come out ok after all.
Normaly that works when title move *away* from realism though, not towards it.

Ubisofts new Prince of Persia has incredible graphics;

(I'm skeptical of the gameplay changes mind, but I think artisticaly thats lovely)

Things can be updated and modern without being realistic.
Old 2008-05-29, 13:39
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Beyond Good and Evil should indeed be played on a console, PC version sucked.
How could the console versions be better? Higher resolution and anti alaising on PC and you can use whatever kind of controls you want (including wii-mote and nunchuck).
Old 2008-05-29, 13:53
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Bugs.
PC version had bugs. And was unstable.
Ditto for Ubisofts Prince of Persia games. They seem to make sloopy PC ports for some reason.

Incidently, yeah, wiimote on pc ownz.
I like using mine as a joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Darkflame my logic is not false. Making a higher polygon character is easier then a lo-poly one, becouse those need to be planned more thoroughfully.
More detail = More time.
Seriously.
Trust me on this, it would take me ten times longer to make that new P'jay then the old one.

While a more skilled artist could do it quicker, they could also do the low-poly quicker too.
Yes, you gota be more carefull to get an efficianct low-poly charecter, but that work pales to insignificancy compare to the time taken to make a higher-res mesh with a lot more detail. (assumeing it was high-res and then converted to a normal map, if not the extra work goes into the normal map...either way its a lot more work.)
Then we got more work on the textureing, of course.

Theres a reason games budgets have skyrocketed in the last few years; Detail level.

A good artistic could make the whole of the original P'jay in the time taken to make the new ones nose!
[/ok, gross and silly exaduration]

And the art style is utterly, totaly completely different.

Its got realistic levels of detail, lighting, and completely subdued colour pallete.
Aka. Gears of War style.

The original was quite a bit higher-saturated, with lots of blues and greens. It had cartoony styled charecters, soft lit, but no advanced lighting.
[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/ps2/beyondgoodevil/1106/beyond_screen002.jpg[img]

Look at another game that recently went from old (N64!) to modern graphics;

Banjo Kazooie (N64);

Banjo Threeie (Xbox360)

Its modern. It looks great, imo.
They havnt been stupid enough to make a game full of talking animals into a realistic style

Choas - This isnt about old vs new. Its about art/style vs genericness.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-05-29 at 14:10.
Old 2008-05-29, 14:02
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
More detail = More time.
Seriously.
Trust me on this, it would take me ten times longer to make that new P'jay then the old one.
Well I disagree, and seriously, "trust me on this"...
A succesfull, high quality lo-poly model where much of the detail is faked by texturing and shadowing "baked" into the texture is a demanding work.

In the case of a model like this all the detail is wich is not "texture" is modelled, wich might be a bit more time consuming but is less demanding on the modeller side, couse he's just following the concept art he is given. With the dinamic shadows he doesn't need to bake in the shadowing.

The model was probably made as lo-poly anwyays, and then subdivided wich is an automatic process... duh. A few corrections, a normal map drawn in photoshop or some other program and you're ready to go.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2008-05-29 at 16:14.
Old 2008-05-29, 14:14
Zebrazilla

I'm with Jasiek on this one. Not in all cases, though. I can imagine a few cases where indeed a lo-poly model is "easier" to make than a hi-poly version. But generally speaking - he is correct.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2008-05-29, 14:21
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
low poly takes MUCH more time than a high poly one ... trust us on this
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-05-29, 15:42
Magic Level: Red Ball

Holy crap!I was waiting for this a long time,let's hope it's going to be good!

Old 2008-05-29, 18:27
>:C

Send a message via AIM to Mouserz Send a message via MSN to Mouserz Send a message via Yahoo to Mouserz
holy shit, that looks pretty fucking awesome.
Old 2008-05-30, 02:00
LOLwut?

Thumbs Down

Sorry but I don't have any item to heal your Dino-fly...

Umm nope wrong answer xDD

(I love to do this)

Sorry but the video is so boring!!!

Great graphics, maybe the wrong style but great anyway.

But boring presentation.

So many years waiting for this pathethic introductory trailer??

And btw is it just me or the words BGE doesn't appear anywhere??

Shitty trailer. Great engine

And about the music, ppfff...

Old 2008-05-30, 03:05
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Shitty trailer.
it's a teaser, not a trailer
Old 2008-05-30, 18:48
LOLwut?

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
it's a teaser, not a trailer
Fine, boring anyway.

And btw I noticed the title 1- The Pig.

Probably this would be something like GTA4 video advertisement.

Lots of them!

F9 = Changed to Wait Mode.

Old 2008-06-02, 02:49
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
How could the console versions be better? Higher resolution and anti alaising on PC and you can use whatever kind of controls you want (including wii-mote and nunchuck).
The PC version of BG&E doesn't even support control pads, man. It blows. Forget it it exists.

It's been said that BG&E has a sort of all-star development team including Yoshitaka Amano of all people. I wonder if a certain LBA director known to be a fan of the series might be among them. He is working at the studio right now. Hmmmm...

As far as art style goes, I think some of the comments here are silly, because they pay no attention to anything but the palette and amount of detail ("realism"). The character designs are exactly the same. Exagerated proportions, cartoony. But detailed. Like a cgi movie. I like it.
Old 2008-06-02, 10:59
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via ICQ to Estranged Send a message via MSN to Estranged
About Ancel ruining his games...
I'd like to mention that Rayman 3 and Rayman RR were done by a completely different team than Rayman 2, which can be easily seen when browsing through the credits.
Yes, Ancel's name stands behind the games, but in the meantime he was busy with creating other things...

Tags
games, videogames