Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-07-16, 06:48
master of electronica

I managed to see all three presentations. I thought all three E3s were fairly dire. Nintendo's was the worst, in my opinion, but not much worse than Sony's.

I can appreciate who Nintendo are aiming for and that plenty of people enjoy mini games, music games, Wii Fit styles games, etc.... but they're just not for me. Even Wii Sports - whilst amazing initially, fun for a week or two after that, and suitable for times when friends are too drunk to play anything else - didn't have enough depth to keep me entertained for very long at all.

Still, one Wii game, Super Mario Galaxy, is still my favorite of this generation out of any of the consoles. It's just a shame there seem to be no more like it on the horizon.
Old 2008-07-16, 12:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Miyamoto;
Quote:
"The core members of the Zelda team have for a very long time now been focused on Zelda games, and continue to focus on Zelda games, so they are hard at work and working away," Miyamoto said. "And then, of course, we have the DS Zelda team as well, so even there we're having some switching of people in and out where the DS team is mixing in with the Wii team and working on the Wii version."

"[ Will there be a fundamental change to the new Wii Zelda? ] I don't necessarily think it will change that drastically, but I think that Zelda is a franchise that does need some big new unique ideas."

"[ Is a Pikmin sequel coming? Well... ] The Pikmin team is, of course, still there and maybe we'll have something to talk about before too long.

"[ With regards to a New Super Mario Bros. sequel ] I have a lot of different teams and those teams are all at different points in their experiments or development, so it's typically once they've finalised something that we're able to talk about it. But for me to go into too much detail would be a little bit irresponsible in an interview. All that I can say is that that team is also working.

"Maybe the best thing for you to understand is that all of the leaders of those teams -- of the Mario team, of the Zelda team and of the Pikmin team -- all sit within 150 feet of my desk. The Galaxy team is the only one that's farther away -- they're in Tokyo. But I do have video conferencing with them."
Old 2008-07-16, 12:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Dead Rising is being ported to the Wii O_o
http://www.cubed3.com/news/10442

I wouldnt have thought that was possible, given the shear number of zombies.
Still, Wii controlls could work nice to wack them with.

--
Samba De Amigo for Wii has downloadable content.

Mad World;

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10436
Rather violent, stylied Wii game

GTA DS will feature online support;

http://ds.ign.com/articles/890/890346p1.html

Microphone not bundled with Animal Crossing;
http://wii.ign.com/articles/890/890133p1.html

Allthough, the reason sounds good to me actualy.
As long as its sold seperately for a reasonable price, or bundled with any game that really needs it.
Seeing as I dont really want AC or a mic.
Good to see usb keyboard support becoming more standard.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-16 at 13:02.
Old 2008-07-16, 13:10
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Mirror's Edge seems pretty sweet. That and Fallout 3 are my favorites of the show so far.
Old 2008-07-16, 16:35
master of electronica

I may sell my Wii. The promise that those teams are "working on something" is very vague. I reckon they've abandoned their core audience - witness Reggie's pathetic attempt to rebut that here: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=2039 ...I mean TWO games? Wow. (Yes, I know there are more floating about, but none of them are that exciting, and if they're ports, I'd rather play them in full HD widescreen 720p graphics on the 360 than play an inferior Wii port with tacked on waggle.)

I think only the most delusional or scarily devoted Nintendo fan could find this E3 anything but disappointing. They're just a company that's aiming to make money like any other, so I'm sure their shareholders will be happy with their presentation; after all, it's their waggle-controlled-mini-game-non-games that seem to sell like hot cakes (just look at the charts and compare where games like Super Mario Galaxy are to all the minigame/Wii Fit bits of gaming nonsense down the months.) Yes, Animal Crossing is fun, but I'm failing to see what is exactly new in this Wii version over the DS one that is worth getting excited about. The graphics look exactly the same (not something I'm too concerned about), and it now apparently has a "proper" online mode, voice chat (for an extra £30, no less) and some pathetic looking "city". I don't know - I'll wait and see with that one.

I'm all for change, and the Wii's controls are still an exciting prospect, but I want games that are deeper, more beautiful, more immersive (you know, the sort of games Nintendo used to be all about...) Where the Wii is going is opposite to that: its games are getting more throwaway, more tacky, more in line with what a mum and her young kids would want to play together. Which is fine for them, it's just not for me.

Last edited by CS2x; 2008-07-16 at 16:46.
Old 2008-07-16, 16:36
Magic Ball Master

I can't wait for that microphone to pick up parents having sex in the background while their 9-year-old is playing Animal Crossing. Hilarity to ensue. :P
Old 2008-07-16, 17:55
Classic

I'd find it disturbing enough someone has Animal Crossing on while having sex in the same room

Quote:
, but I want games that are deeper, more beautiful, more immersive (you know, the sort of games Nintendo used to be all about...)
Games like Galaxy, Twlight Princess, Corruption etc *take time to make*.
Time, as in, 3 years.

While its absolutely true to say this E3 was disappointing, its utterly nonsense to claim they have abandoned making games like that.

Nintendo hasnt laid of any staff, and has at least 3 fairly large teams working on unnounced stuff. (as in, 50-100 people)
It does not take those numbers to make WiiSports like games.
(and, for sure, WiiSports is one of the most eleborate, well made "casual games", most have far less manhours spent on them)

Its simply a case that Nintendo had a lot of fantastic titles ready quite early in the consoles life this time, and theres going to be gap till those teams have anything else ready. Unfortuntely, 3rd partys havnt filled that gap.

---

Incidently, I was pleased to see Zack & Wiki is the 6th best saleing Wii game in "Saturn" shops in the Neatherlands. Nice to see a quality game get its due for once.
=============

Oh, and for those that like RPGs, The Wii is apperently getting another "Tales of" game;
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/...series-ex.html
(no, not the sequal to ToS, thats coming anyway, this is a new flagship entry).

I really enjoyed ToS on the cube, it having good puzzles and humour, and not-as-annoying-as-most battleing systems.

Quote:
voice chat (for an extra £30, no less)
30GBP for a mic would indeed be a huge rip-off.
Where was this confirmed
Old 2008-07-16, 18:10
Magic Ball Master

Hmm, my PS3 mic - a very, very nice Logitech...cost me $20, when it was on sale. Normally it was $30.

Anyways, the new Prince of Persia is, after watching more E3 vids, my most eagerly anticipated title. This looks like the platformer I've been missing, and since most of my PS3 games are FPS/military sim (with the exception of Folklore...HIGHLY underrated), I am looking forward to some new titles like PoP and Fallout3.

Incidentally, I thought it was laughable that Sony put the old version of Oblivion on the Greatest Hits series. The game is already on clearance in most shops, while the GOTY edition with the two built-in map packs still retails for full price. If I can buy the old game new for under $10, why would I even bother paying $29.99 for it? They should have made the GOTY edition $29.99. Then I would definitely pick it up. But there is no incentive, even given Bethesda's claim of releasing the map packs as on-disc add ons sometime to the PS3 or DLC, to buy the original version at that price.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:12
Classic

Trailer to Mad World;
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14253678/vids_1.html

I'm skepetical about the new PoP Game.
Absolutely love the style.
But to remove rewind to replace it with spawn points is lame, having a magic charecter to excuse it plot wise dosnt help,imho.
1 on 1 fighting probably will be better, but I'm quite worried the platforming puzzles will be lost. To me the highlights of the last games were
the fact that you could expirment with the landscape motion so easily.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:15
Magic Ball Master

Killzone 2, judging by what IGN says, looks promising as well. Though the first two games were kind of meh...
Old 2008-07-16, 18:44
Classic

Its almost amusing to see how far from the "concept" footage killzone games turn out to be.
Not as bad as MoterStorm though. I remember early previews of that.
Old 2008-07-16, 19:27
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
30GBP for a mic would indeed be a huge rip-off.
Where was this confirmed
Nowhere. It are 30 USD. (or Euro for that matter) That's a bit less in pounds.
Old 2008-07-16, 20:09
Classic

hmz...seeing the design makes me annoyed they didnt add two more dots for the sensor bar tracking.
That would help give positional senseing 1:1 as well as rotation.
-sigh-
oh well.
Old 2008-07-16, 21:59
master of electronica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWyVBsscdo

Pretty dissappointed, I have to say. I mean I suppose if you haven't played the Gamecube and DS versions to death, it'd be great.

I'm hoping they'll be some new features they're not sharing yet. Don't know why they'd hide them, though.
Old 2008-07-16, 22:11
>:C

Send a message via AIM to Mouserz Send a message via MSN to Mouserz Send a message via Yahoo to Mouserz
what the hell, the world is cylindrical?
Old 2008-07-16, 22:26
You what?!

Only Animal Crossing I've played is Wild World (for the DS) and that was insanely dull.
This looks a little nicer, with the extra features, but I definately wouldn't buy it.
Old 2008-07-16, 22:58
Classic

Quote:
what the hell, the world is cylindrical?
Indeed.
Bloody cool isnt it ?
Old 2008-07-16, 23:20
Do the evolution.

Rage and Mirrors Crossing look absolutely stunning, Rage looks similarly themed to fallout, but I like it more.
Old 2008-07-16, 23:23
Classic

Mirrors Edge I think you mean.
Allthough Mirrors Crossing seems a pretty good name for something too

A freerunning game staring animals in your own village, in a distopia yet clean (low poly) future.
oh, and you can send messages with eachother, but they will be censored.
Old 2008-07-16, 23:35
master of electronica

More AC disappointment...

The same animations? The same activities (haircuts, having a coffee etc), the same villager designs, the same town layouts, the same shops, the same furniture and items, the same turnip market?
Old 2008-07-17, 00:23
Member #174

God I want to play Mirror's Edge..
Maybe even more the Fallout 3.
Old 2008-07-17, 01:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWyVBsscdo

Pretty dissappointed, I have to say. I mean I suppose if you haven't played the Gamecube and DS versions to death, it'd be great.

I'm hoping they'll be some new features they're not sharing yet. Don't know why they'd hide them, though.
The thing that annoys me with Animal Crossing, is that the foundation provided in the Gamecube original is such a great foundation to build upon. There is so much more the game could provide, countryside and such to explore, instead of just being confined to the village. Hell, it's not as if you're pressed for time or anything in this game. But from the previews, it appears that very little has changed in the 6 or 7 years since the release of the original. If this is the case, Nintendo are taking the piss.

The game series which feels closest in spirit to Animal Crossing, is the Harvest Moon series. While it's not a perfect game by any stretch, the developers attempt to develop the world and confines of the game with each new iteration of it. In contrast Nintendo are peddling the same old shit.

Oh, and more peripherals! Yay.

In fairness, I haven't paid much attention to this years E3. But this Penny Arcade seems to sum it up well enough:

Old 2008-07-17, 01:23
Member #174

Just saw some Mercenaries 2 footage. I NEED it! Bring in monster trucks, blow up everything, call in nukes whenever you like. WIN!

Games I want:
Mercenaries 2
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
The Humans (yay nostalgia!)
Spore
Red Alert 3

Last edited by Assassin; 2008-07-17 at 01:32.
Old 2008-07-17, 01:38
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Mirrors Edge I think you mean.
Oh lawl, yeah... where did that come from...

CURSE YOU TYPO KOBOLDS!
Old 2008-07-17, 01:48
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
God I want to play Mirror's Edge..
Maybe even more the Fallout 3.
*slap* SNAP OUT OF IT, MAN!

But yeah, it looks cool, though I hate aiming my lands after jumping in first person.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)

Tags
games, videogames