Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-10-13, 11:43
Polly parrot

I love the randomness of this show

Didn't know about that blob game, looks good indeed.

Two things were bugging me : That scene with the joker is showed 2 times, first the image ratio isn't good, but the second time, it is. Why not making it good the first time as well second, at the end when Atresica (that's her, right ?) walks away from the explosion, sometimes her elbows go off the green screen, or something, they are cut off.

Keep up reviewing absurd and epic things at the same time, I really like it !
Old 2012-10-13, 14:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Cheers

Didn't notice the ratio, that was a really stupid mistake >_<
I did notice the elbows, but it was a pain to edit and I hoped no one noticed :~
Old 2012-10-13, 17:06
Polly parrot

Oh, and I forgot, new haircut ?
Old 2012-10-13, 18:08
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Oh, and I forgot, new haircut ?
And a much better one, imho.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-10-13, 19:46
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, obviously I have a role model
Old 2012-10-13, 22:22
ffffff

oh my god youre still making this shitttttt
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2012-10-13, 22:23
ffffff

inb4 well wat do u make huuuuuurrrrrrffffgg??????????????
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2012-10-13, 22:56
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliptic View Post
oh my god youre still making this shitttttt
* oh my god youre still making this show with lots and lots of room for improvement.

Fixed it for ya.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-10-13, 23:19
Classic

If your going to flame me, either say some constructive crit, or, at the very least dont use two posts to express nothing useful. What didn't you like about the episode, what did you find shit?

(also, I would never dismiss a viewpoint merely because someone hasn't made something themselves - that would make me a outrageous hypocrite)
Old 2012-10-14, 01:22
the legend

Exactly...

I hate to be the only one here giving these critiques, makes me seem like an over-judging person.
Alas, for the sake of (hopefully) making things better, here goes a few more suggestions:

- Fix it's looks : Adjust the brightness/contrast + color saturation of every footage (no, don't apply the same filter onto everything, it'll be a mess). You obviously don't use a very good camera to film, so to the least fix these parameters so it won't look pale, dark and muddy as it does now.

- Explore new angles : That's right, noone likes boring frontal angles from a camera with wideopen lenses. If you're using a standard camera with 3x zoom which most home cameras have, I suggest always filming with the zoom to the max, this will distort the image to the least as possible (50mm is equivalent to the human eye, most cameras, in order to get most subjects possible onto the screen, have a wide focus of 18mm or so. If you zoom out max you'll probably get to 33mm which is already much better, feels more natural and will look more professional). Ofcourse, with this level of zoom you'll need to use a tripod at all times else it'll be shaky. Then, place it somewhere unusual, like on top of a high shelf, aiming below, etc. Close-ups can be good, too.

- Pace & Editing : I have already mentioned the need for a faster and better editing, cutting at the right places. It seems words cannot quite explain this concept very well so I shall suggest you to watch my favorite 90's TV program called "Beakman's World". I think the RRS should be exactly like the Beakman's World, and you have already part of it's formula: a crazy guy & an assistant to help show things to the audience.

- We want eye candy : If you're really serious about this show as in "I want it to look good", then you should really consider having a scenario for it. No, the couch in the living room won't do. Separate some special place and decorate it, and most importantly, light it up really well, because standard cameras are so little light sensitive, and you need a big input of light to make things look decent. If you create a scenario with pretty even and well-spread lightining, plus cute things in the background to look at, will make it a more pleasant experience to listen what you have to say during each panel.

- Again, the sound & taking the audience by the hand : I noticed you fixed some of what I mentioned, but still I hear some of the voice tracks louder on one side of my headphone. And I also think you need to embellish each different section of the program (which I think there is, scripted somewhere, right?) with some soundtrack so people know what's going on and where the show is going - there is that intro song with that funny animation of you guys running away from "things", and that was pretty good. But you need more panels like that, specially if the show is as long or longer than 10 minutes, otherwise the whole show feels very loose.

And, as a final note, I think it would be nicer to let the show available to download (with a 50~90 mb filesize) rather than online streaming, but this is a personal view, because I hate waiting for the video to load, and also the quality would be much better because all these sites compress it a hell lot more and makes it all fussy, blurred and pixelated.

In short: you have got great ideas, but lacks the vision to expose them well in an entertaining manner, at least, how we were conditioned to digest such things. If you think the way it is is what you're settling for, then okay by me.

Old 2012-10-14, 01:41
the legend

Btw, have you seen this vid of mine?

http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=16297

I know, no LucasArts Omg Wowza special effects, but still a pretty fun 1 min of video, imho.

Old 2012-10-14, 13:39
Neko

Didn't she give constructive critisism in that thread where spacekid and her started arguing?

I assume she could probably copy/paste that
Old 2012-10-14, 18:49
the legend

Are you serious, Jesse, or just trolling?

That was hardly constructive criticism, although she does pinponts in her blunt manner some things that I have also mentioned, so yeah, not completely discardable:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliptic, ye old troll from the woods

look, pretty much everything you make is terrible. seriously. i have not seen anything you have made that has been better than 'mediocre'. i severely hope you did not study for a formal qualification in art or design because you have absolutely no eye for aesthetics.

a few examples. firstly, your rateoholic website. now i don't know if its some dead student project but it's still pretty terrible. first of all, the suffix is generally -aholic, not -oholic, making your website really weird to pronounce and remember. secondly, the site looks really ugly. if you need me to expand on this, i will. thirdly, the concept has been done to death on many other, vastly superior websites that integrate social networking, shopping, events and other things related to its subject. exactly why would anyone use this product?

now take 'the random review show'. first episode is a ridiculous 20 or so minutes long but it feels like hours by the fact it's so fucking boring.

you're not going to listen to advice from me but its existence makes me angry so i'm going to say it anyway. if you want people to watch your videos, cut the length of the shows dramatically - that way you can make more of them and they won't bore people to death. even 5 minutes is too long for some peoples' attention spans. try to get them around that mark. for starters, cut the awful intro. and it's evident you watch too much american tv as you don't need fucking recaps at the beginning of every episode.

secondly, neither of you are funny enough for comedy at the pace you are doing. there are some salvageable one-shot jokes in there, but they're dragged out for fucking ever. fire them fast paced at an audience - they're more likely to laugh at the next joke if they're still laughing from the first. your sketches however are embarrassingly bad. this is possibly due to atre not having english as her first language, which results in really strange reactions and timing with everything she says. still, she has a much better grasp of the english language than you have ever had.

your shows are also all over the place - i get it, it's supposed to be "random" - but really, you should have an aim to your shows. do you have an agenda? do you want to be primarily funny or informative? that's not to say you can't be both, but in your shows one minute you're boring us to death with facts and the next you're trying to be as wacky as possible. there is no flow and the whole thing feels disjointed.

finally, cut your fucking hair you look like a homeless person.

on a related note, i seriously want to see you and atre fuck, mostly to work out the physics of such an act. she literally looks like she could break you in two. it would also be a lot more watchable than your current videos.

Old 2012-10-14, 19:01
Polly parrot

I like the home couch, it gies a nice atmosphere. Except if by "decorating" you mean preparing the place.
Old 2012-10-14, 19:41

:U REview some harvest moon
Old 2012-10-14, 19:55
Classic

O_o...when was that written? Maybe my memories going as I have no recollection of any of it and I am sure Id have replied to some of it.
--
SpaceGuitarist- Thanks thats good feedback.

Looks - actually for a amateur thing, the camera isnt that bad, it was 700euros new, probably worth about 300 by now. The big issue is more the lighting. The room can get a lot of natural light, but the light changes far too much to be usable - clouds, reflections from passing cars etc. So we have to block the window up and use just lightbulbs. Most epps we used quite bright ones, but this epp we only had rather poor ones left. The point is moot now however..

- Explore new angles : I'll try - but this is much easier said then done. If you only have one camera its rather hard to switch angles while someone is talking
Id have to film the different angles sections at the start or the end, else Id never be able to get the camera back in the exact same position. Dialogue would sound a tad disjointed if I do that though.
The camera is always zoomed out max, btw.....the room isnt big enough to have it any other way :P

- We want eye candy : Certainly + ish. Due to an explosion, we are moving to a new location. I must confess it will still be a living room sofa, but it is a much bigger space with better lighting. I dont think there is a issue fundamentally with a sofa as a location.....a lot of vastly more successful reviewers have got away with it, and I dont have room or budget for a real studio anyway.
However, we will try to make the background more interesting anyway. And, as before, we will try to keep "sofa bits" short compared to clips/greenscreen/"away missions".

- Pace & Editing : No arguments here.

- Again, the sound & taking the audience by the hand : - This still baffles me a bit. We record effectively in mono, I havnt a clue how it keeps being louder on one side.
I did pan the audio briefly when bertine walks too sit down, but that was it, so not sure how a mistake worked its way in.
And yes, sections are scripted. Good idea to give it more of an identity with music. I'll probably nick some of Jesses stuff again :P
So far I have normally tried to pick music that suits the topic at hand, but I'll try to think more in sections from now on.

Downloads - I could offer downloads, although not sure the best way to handle it. The shows are 720p and about 15mins, so thats quite a lot!
Old 2012-10-14, 19:58
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzy Doo View Post
:U REview some harvest moon
Never played any of them. Farming and picking wives arnt my thing so I wouldn't review it fairly

Also I dont want to do too many videogames...at least not in a row, as theres a lot of vg reviewers out there.
Old 2012-10-14, 20:00

Then review the show im from >:U
Old 2012-10-14, 20:48
Classic

umm..Robocop:The Series? :P

In all seriousness...I'm scared of Bronies attacking me. :~
I watched an hour of FiM and found it Spoiler:
...merely ok

I have no problem with shows that seem for children though - Rottentrolls I find hilarious. And i cant wait for more MysteryInc episodes..
Old 2012-10-14, 22:13
the legend

As far as I know, you haven't ever replied to elliptic. Not in that thread, anyway. She even put a tag on it: "df answer me ffs".

Well, daylight is the best light there is and ever will be, period. If you have a garden or backyard, maybe you should go for it. If there's a nice spot in your town with few or no people around with lots of sunlight, that could be your scenario - it doesn't have to be necessarily somewhere indoors you know! Then again, even with IDEAL lighting, you still should fix the levels, there's no way you can skip this part. This is routine for anyone who edits video.

I made a mistake, I meant to say "zoomed IN max", not out. Usually the more you zoom in the better it looks, regarding that focal-distance/distortion ratio I explained in the post before. Ofcourse, if your room is too small, then you can't - which is another reason to go find a place to film outside!

If you don't have two cameras, here's how you do: film the entire dialogue in one position, and then again the entire dialogue in another position. Later, edit it with the best takes. OR, make it an entire shot in one position and change as necessary, without coming back to "the exact same place" - I don't mind. I think noone does. And watch "Beakman's World", you'll like it. It's a science and curious facts program for children and teens. There are plenty of episodes on youtube.

I wasn't aware the quality is 720p, in blip it looks horrible for me (and take ages to load, unlike in youtube). If you release it in 240p with a filesize about 150mb it's acceptable and better than blip, imo. Or, put it in youtube or vimeo.

PS: Script MOAR things for Atresica, I watch your show because of her, basically.
PS2: No comments about me video? mmkay...

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2012-10-14 at 22:19.
Old 2012-10-15, 02:33
Classic

I didn't have sound at that mo, so I didn't watch the vid
Will do though.

Ah..found the thread. Not exactly a thread I was checking really....but I'll reply in a minute to her points anyway.
You first though..

Quote:
Well, daylight is the best light there is and ever will be, period. If you have a garden or backyard, maybe you should go for it. If there's a nice spot in your town with few or no people around with lots of sunlight, that could be your scenario - it doesn't have to be necessarily somewhere indoors you know! Then again, even with IDEAL lighting, you still should fix the levels, there's no way you can skip this part. This is routine for anyone who edits video.
With natural light indoors I find it changes a lot I think clouds are my enemy.
As for levels, what do you mean fix? I know technically how to alter/match colours/play with curves...but I dont know what they should be.

Quote:
I made a mistake, I meant to say "zoomed IN max", not out. Usually the more you zoom in the better it looks, regarding that focal-distance/distortion ratio I explained in the post before. Ofcourse, if your room is too small, then you can't - which is another reason to go find a place to film outside!
umm...If I zoom in max my camera would need to be, like, 100 meters away O_o
The optical zoom is x8.
Maybe theres a way to fix this with a different lens type

Quote:
If you don't have two cameras, here's how you do: film the entire dialogue in one position, and then again the entire dialogue in another position. Later, edit it with the best takes. OR, make it an entire shot in one position and change as necessary, without coming back to "the exact same place" - I don't mind. I think noone does. And watch "Beakman's World", you'll like it. It's a science and curious facts program for children and teens. There are plenty of episodes on youtube.
ok,ok, i'll give it a go
(the first and last suggestion...really dont want to change position normally as it will make effects harder later)

Quote:
I wasn't aware the quality is 720p, in blip it looks horrible for me (and take ages to load, unlike in youtube). If you release it in 240p with a filesize about 150mb it's acceptable and better than blip, imo. Or, put it in youtube or vimeo.
Sounds like blip is sending you a lower quality stream
Blip certainly doesnt look as good as youtubes heighest settings , or Vimeo,on mine but it sure as hell should beat 240p!

For the record with film in 1080p, and edit at 720p. Uploading at xvid7000kbps - that should give decent quality really.

Id love to dump more of the show on youtube, but their ContentID system would reject too much. They are a lot more fussy about copyright stuff then Blip is.
They flagged by Sarah Jane tribute within seconds of uploading.
I dunno about Vimeos polices...they seem a bit more arty in their content. I could try.
Hows DailyMotion for you? Their quality isnt that great, but I think they are outside the US so they might accept more stuff.

Quote:
PS: Script MOAR things for Atresica, I watch your show because of her, basically.
I'll tell her
Old 2012-10-15, 03:02
Classic

A Reply to Elliptic

Quote:
a few examples. firstly, your rateoholic website. now i don't know if its some dead student project but it's still pretty terrible. first of all, the suffix is generally -aholic, not -oholic, making your website really weird to pronounce and remember. secondly, the site looks really ugly. if you need me to expand on this, i will. thirdly, the concept has been done to death on many other, vastly superior websites that integrate social networking, shopping, events and other things related to its subject. exactly why would anyone use this product?
The name was deliberate. "-o-" is generally used in cartoons or animations for silly machines. ie "hatomatic" would be a machine that automatically gave you a hat.
We were trying to go for a (sort of) pun the idea being the site is addicted to giving ratings.
Maybe it sucks, but I wasn't aware the name was hard to pronounce for people. I tend to think websites can be called more or less anything provided its unique and people can say it easily.

As for other sites - I know of zero. Theres plenty of sites that let you review certain things, but I didn't know of any that attempted to correlate people by those ratings in order to find other things you might like. Amazons "people that like this liked this" is pretty common, but thats also a bit shit. For one thing it doesn't take hate into account. :P
Also, why would I want to try to duplicate social features? Facebook and G+ exists, you can use the share buttons to post reviews on them if you want - but I'm not going to try to build a social network.
The goal was simply a site for people to quickly find brand new things they might enjoy. It isn't suppose to be a site people hang around on.

==

Ok, review show:

Pacing - More or less agreed, see above.

Recaps - Well, its not just a american thing, I like serializes shows and they all have it, regardless of country. Even 'Allo 'Allo has Renie talking to the camera for a minute quickly explaining the mess he is in at the start of each epp.
That said I didnt think I did tv style recaps I did a tv recap for the star-trek epp, precisely because I was copying the star trek recap style.
Other recaps I have done have either been spoofs (scenes that didnt happen) or in this case more of a flashback.
I actually agree normal recaps are dull, which is why I was trying to add a twist to them. I thought this last epps one flowed quite nicely.
And come on, the Penumbra one had the best recap ever

My Hair- I liked it But whatever, its a ponytail now...happy??

Bertine - yes, she could snap me. no question.

Finally...

You didnt comment on my swede!
Or the behind the scenes documentary!

If your going to flame my work, flame all of it

Last edited by Darkflame; 2012-10-15 at 03:08.
Old 2012-10-15, 05:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
umm..Robocop:The Series? :P

In all seriousness...I'm scared of Bronies attacking me. :~
I watched an hour of FiM and found it Spoiler:
...merely ok

I have no problem with shows that seem for children though - Rottentrolls I find hilarious. And i cant wait for more MysteryInc episodes..
~shrugs~ the first three episodes are kinda so so... But yeah bronies can be total dumbasses.... But the cool ones like me actually respect others views on things.
Old 2012-10-18, 19:30
Neko

I was suprised he asked for more critisism after that (constructive or not).

Anyway, I have not seen more than 1 ep of it yet...

Old 2012-10-18, 21:33
Polly parrot

I recommend you the 6th one. I haven't seen much, but that one is very good !

edit : Brilliant I must say !

Tags
boy and his blob, horror, paperclips, penumbra, please just stop, review show, rss, shameless premotion, tv intros, unflinching walks, wii