Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2011-11-02, 08:25
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Why did you play LBA 2 first?

It seems that many people here played LBA 2 before LBA 1, which is obviously not the natural order of the games...
So, what exactly caused that for you?

As for me, I have a "good" excuse... LBA 2 is what I got in the-underdogs website when pressing the "random game" button. It was the middle of the night, and obviously it didn't occur to me then that downloading LBA 1 first would make more sense...
Old 2011-11-02, 10:21
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I played LBA2 when we still didn't have an internet connection at home. My father had a friend who owned a lot of games (I don't know if he downloaded them or bought them) and he copied them for us. One day he brought us LBA2, commenting that it was 'sensational' and we should try it.

I took us years to beat the game, the whole family (me, my brother and my parents) was trying to figure out how to stop the rain for quite a while. This was due to our limited knowledge of English, my mother was the only one who spoke English at least at a basic level.

Years passed, and we were still playing LBA2 from time to time, though we finally managed to get an internet connection in the meantime, thus we could download a walkthrough which allowed us to finally beat the game (we were at the second landing on Zeelich by this time).

After finishing LBA2, we naturally spoke a lot about LBA1. The reason we weren't even trying to get LBA1 when we were still playing LBA2 was simple: we wanted to finish it first. We were wondering about the story, and if we could visit the other islands on Twinsun in it. We were trying to get LBA1 from somewhere this time, but we couldn't find it in any shops which sold it (it was in the early 2000s).

When we found LBA1 on the net, we encountered another problem: it didn't work on Windows. However, we managed to figure out it was playable in DOS mode, but we weren't able to configure the sound settings properly. Thus, I played LBA1 first without sound and without the cinematics, beacause the version we had was the rip you can still find on lots of abandonware sites.

Only later, when I had already discovered MBN and LbaWin have I got the CD version of LBA1, therefore I used LbaWin to play LBA1 in its full glory (with sounds and cinematics) for the first time.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:56
Magic Ball GrandMaster

When I first got my LBA2 cd, I don't even remember when this was or from whom I got it, but at least I know it was a present. I didn't know any game yet, just the one or two PC games I already had, so obviously "LBA2" didn't ring any bell for me. Though I had to play it countless times before I started wondering about LBA1, which I hesitated about because of the rumours I heared. That it was supposed to have different movement controls, damage when hitting walls (yeah I heard about that even before I saw the game..) and a different 3D environment, those things scared me a little.

But after a while after that, I started exploring for LBA1 and 3, and I found out about some websites, and then the MBN came. That was just 3, 4 years ago. From the MBN I found a way to get my hands on LBA1, and as though I had some troubles setting it up and playing it at first, I totally loved it. So far, I've only completed it once.

Compared to my younger self who played LBA2 for the first time, it took me a lot less time to complete it, but relatively LBA1 felt longer.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2011-11-02, 13:24
Magic Level: Red Ball

Me I had the game offered (free) for the purchase of my new computer (Windows 98). That was in 1998/1999 I do not know.
In any case, if the game was not given with my pc, I would certainly never known LBA!

ps: I played LBA1 for the first time in 2007
Old 2011-11-02, 13:30
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I do remember playing it on my old win 98 pc, so I'm sure I started at least before 2000.
Though on the same pc I also had win 95 earlier, so it could have been much sooner too.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2011-11-02, 23:14
the legend

In Brazil back in the 90's, it was pretty rare to find the games you want, importing was nearly impossible and expensive, and we didn't have internet anyway.
When we read about the LBA series in PC Format, we've wanted any of them we could find. In the stores there was LBA 2, so...

But I'm glad it was this way, 2 is more magical.

BTW, this is a very normal thing, the same occured with Jagged Alliance 2, System Shock 2, etc, and usually I don't bother with the fact it's the 2nd, 3rd or whatever.
Heck, I've played Final Fantasy 12 and none of the previous ones.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2011-11-02 at 23:21.
Old 2011-11-02, 23:28
this's longer than allowe

Cause it came with and old computer I bought, I fell in love with it right away, we use to play the game with my mother my father and my sister all night.. some good memories.
Also that old pc came with Virtual Soccer, that game sucked by the way LOL
Old 2011-11-02, 23:32
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Well, I was very young and my only source of games was my dad. I played a lot of demos from promotional CDs and my favourite one was... you guessed it, LBA2.
One day my dad found LBA2 on sale at a computer store and bought it for me, and the rest is history.
A few years later I also found LBA1 on sale and bought it but I couldn't manage to make it run it on windows 98 so it gathered dust for quite some time, until internet connections became cheaper and more commonplace, only then I found out about LBAwin and managed to play the "missing" chapter of this great series
Old 2011-11-03, 18:39
Magic Ball Master

Received it as a gift; had never heard of the series before. In fact, it felt like I was playing some secret gem because I'd ask my friends at school who played PC games whether they'd ever tried it, and nobody had ever heard of it.

I got LBA 1 a bit later, as I had a hard time finding a place that sold it (eventually CD Access).
Old 2011-11-04, 06:20
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via MSN to Diego Send a message via Yahoo to Diego
When I bought my first computer the sound card (Sound Blaster AWE32 I think) came with games like Claw, Fatal Racing, Actua Soccer, Moto Racer, Time Commando, and of course the best of all Little Big Adventure 2.
I remember how hard it was to find the lighthouse's keeper, and even more the Sendell ball.
Remember the first time I beat the game, seeing the last scene, with children coming out of the volcano, or Twinsen at the Sendell's well trying to repel the moon and the Esmers with the wizards working together to help, It gave me goosebumps, just great.
I love this game, I love the song of Gabriel
Old 2011-11-04, 12:34
Master of Degree

My friend once gave it to me saying, that maybe I would be interested, because I liked games . He didn't play it himself, but got it from his brother, or another guy (I don't remember), and sold it to me for 5 zloty's (about $2 at that time). (I never heard about the series, and I got ripped LBA 1 much later from an abandonware site).

First I hung on the broken ladder in Tralu's cave, and was near of giving up (also because the rain and dim colours were depressing). I even found a walkthrough, but it didn't say what to do there. But then I left the game in main menu, and started doing something else, and out of sudden it played that teaser/movie of what would come next in the game. It was so amazing, that I decided to find the way no matter what.

And then I did the worst thing I could: I went it step by step by a walkthrough, and lost all the fun of finding solutions by myself.
Old 2011-11-05, 01:32

At the time it was new, we (me and my dad) were just getting into computer games and things, and the demo was on a CD that really only had demos on it (in Hungary in the '90s, Internet penetration was even worse than in Western Europe or the US, so not just magazines offered CDs with demos, but there were all kinds of standalone releases as well. This one was a single CD in a big, magazine sized cardboard case with all kinds of game artwork on it. It had a number of games that I've became to love, eventually).

Anyway, the demo was pretty magical, especially if all you know as computer games up until that time are Doom II; that dos F1 racer, Grand Prix; Prince of Persia; etc. Also, at the time (like 7 years old), I had a feeling that "oh, this is some serious and artsy game with this kind of Japanese style" (I thought it was because of the hairstyle and the tunic and especially the harbour music). So it was pretty special.

Later I got the full game (pirated, but I kind of put that right by buying it on GOG now ), and it's probably in the top 3 of best games ever, for me (probably 2nd, #1 being Grim Fandango).
Old 2011-11-05, 12:25
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNDOLOS View Post
it's probably in the top 3 of best games ever, for me (probably 2nd, #1 being Grim Fandango).
...then you don't belong here
LBA should always come first, but I accept your apologies.

Old 2011-11-06, 23:01
Boobs!

The reason I played LBA2 first was because I went down to Tasmania to visit my grandparents one year as a holiday. One day they went to the markets in Hobart and my mum simply passed by one of the stalls and saw the game, thought I'd like it, and bought it for me.
Still have the original disk and box and I've now got it installed on both my macs and I'm waiting to install it on my iPad. (Yes, it's possible to play DOS games on the iPad)
Old 2011-11-07, 02:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem
Why did you play LBA 2 first?
I didn't.
I'm a lucky guy!!!

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-11-07, 08:57
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_matrox View Post
Cause it came with and old computer I bought, I fell in love with it right away, we use to play the game with my mother my father and my sister all night.. some good memories.
Also that old pc came with Virtual Soccer, that game sucked by the way LOL
The weird things I have seen in Virtua soccer....

That computer AI sometimes delibertalely sabotaged the game in order to win.
For example: my keeper once turned around and rolled the ball in my own goal. (the keeper was in AI mode, controlled by the game itself)

*edit, nevermind, it was actua soccer *
Old 2011-11-11, 00:56
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
lol I hated Virtua soccer.

Some of the comments are are very nice.

I actually played LBA1 first, but i was a fool child that couldn't even escape from the citadel, and thought that the clone soldiers were some kind of turtles... yes. Tha game wasn't mine, it was of A friend of my brother, so when I got older I couldn't play LBA1 as I'd have wanted to. But I was very happy with LBA2, it became my favourite game for years. I could only play and finish LBA1 in 2005, when I joined the MBN
Old 2011-11-11, 21:53

One of my olders brothers bought the game and we were all playing it, but as a child I had absolutely no idea that there was a LBA1... I found out the existence of LBA1 many years later when I started to re-think about that game, and did some research on the Internet
Old 2011-11-12, 06:19
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Didn't Zoe's diary or FunFrock's re-appearance clued you in?
Old 2011-11-13, 18:07
~le photographer~

Send a message via MSN to MatheusMK3
My aunt gave my dad the game years ago, at first we couldn't play (graphics were messed up), later we managed to reinstall it (found it on a box) and started playing it, but couldn't continue after Tralu's part...
After lot of try-and-fail we got to undergas, at this time I was about 10, so I could understand what they were saying in-game (lol)...
At same year we beat if for first time, then we continued beating it...
Last time we beat it was after buying new computer... I think we (I and my sister) beat it in about 1 week or less... lol

Web | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter
Old 2011-11-14, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Didn't Zoe's diary or FunFrock's re-appearance clued you in?
I was 7 years old, I guess I didn't really think about it
Old 2011-11-14, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
...then you don't belong here
LBA should always come first, but I accept your apologies.
Haha, well they aren't exactly the same style anyway. But losing to Grim Fandango isn't exactly the worst position to be in, is it now?
Old 2011-11-15, 16:50
"The umbrella... please."

I'm kinda ashamed that I haven't played LBA 1 before.
I bought both LBA 1 and LBA 2 through ebay. Flew over from the UK, original boxes and books to go with it.

But since I played LBA2 YEARS ago, I was kinda discouraged when I started to play LBA 1. The wall hit, the supergrobo's.. the way you get killed more easily.

Now after playing it for a couple of hours I really REALLY like it. You have to be more stealthy to get to places.

So, I'm happy I'm playing it right now. Much thanks to DosBox too. I tried running it on an old laptop running Windows ME, but that didn't workout so well.

Back in the days you had a series of warez cd's called Twilight, not legit ofcourse, but LBA2 was on it.

I'm happy I own both the original games now.
Old 2011-11-19, 08:55

My reason was alot like courgettes.... but i actually thought Relentless was the sequel..... yeah I was 5 when i played those.... such a silly filly
Old 2011-11-19, 13:28
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
I bought LBA2 CD from my classmate in 1999 because he was tired of the game. He got it from a computer store for free with his computer (along with Turok: Dinosaur hunter, if I am not mistaken). The CD costed me 13 roubles (about 30 cents)!

It was hard to get LBA1, I only found a used PS version through a newspaper, but it didn't work on PC (surprisingly), so I've returned it.

Life is hard in Russia.