Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-11-14, 20:04
Quetching a Mr.

Twinsun Terrorist Attack In France!?

Hello, everyone.

I just heard that yesterday there was a terrorist attack in France!? I only know so much about the subject, but if there is someone out there who has more information to share, it would be very appreciated.

However, I do know this, about 150 ( 157? ) or so people died. There was a shootout of evil people ( terrorists ) firing into a restaurant while riding a car passing by.

Does anyone know if Fred is alright? Hopefully those who have died are being comforted by their loved ones at their funerals. In addition, I sure hope that those who have had members die are feeling sympathy from others. Finally, I sure hope that people are getting out of their way to lend a helping hand to those in need, even if they are not family relatives of their own.

I just figured I would post this, as it has been a long time since my last post. Also, I have changed over the past few years.
Old 2015-11-14, 22:13
pépé's master

The attack was commited by young men (between 15 and 18 years old) and claimed by the Islamic State terrorist group. It happened in a concert hall where the band "Eagles of Death Metal" (which is not a death metal band) was playing in front of ~1500 people. The band is safe, but lots of people were shot and a lot of them died. That is where over 130 people died. They were all stuck in the building and saw people getting killed one by one.

Several attacks happened at the same moment at other places in Paris. President Hollande closed the borders, meaning you have to show your passport like before the European Union if you want in or out of France.

Fred doesn't live in Paris.

You have changed over the past few years.
Old 2015-11-14, 22:15
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
Does anyone know if Fred is alright?
France is a big country, you know... The attack(s) took place in Paris, Fred's from Lyon. Lyon's ~400 km (~250 miles) from Paris.
So yeah, he's alright.
Old 2015-11-15, 14:12
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- geecko: Actually, the attack hit 4 places. The worst was the Bataclan, with 100 people dead, but other 27 people died among 2 restaurants and the Stade de France which was hit because Hollande was there, attending the match between France and Germany.
Old 2015-11-15, 15:13
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Conflicting information about border control; My parents just visited us from the UK this weekend - going via france. They had no issues whatsoever. Didnt even check passports.
Old 2015-11-15, 15:41
Polly parrot

Btw, is Lupin alright ? He lives in Paris doesn't he... Though ~140 people is not much compared to the ~10 millions parisians.

(Sorry if I sound insencitive, this is just so absurd that I couldn't really process it yet.)

Last edited by Polaris; 2015-11-15 at 15:50.
Old 2015-11-15, 16:59
Neko

According to my Facebook he is ok
Old 2015-11-15, 18:50
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Conflicting information about border control; My parents just visited us from the UK this weekend - going via france. They had no issues whatsoever. Didnt even check passports.
That's weird. Perhaps the passport control is limited only to people who cross the border on land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
According to my Facebook he is ok
Yup, my Facebook reaffirms your Facebook's statement.
Old 2015-11-15, 20:23
Magic Ball Master

Ohh well... I was there 2 weeks ago and stayed in the 10th town!!

Lupin seems to be ok

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-11-16, 05:38
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Things are tense. Slovenian police is preparing for stepping up threat level here due to the Paris attacks, which is understandable, considering the migrants are currently flowing to Italy through Slovenia. In Špilj near the Austrian border, two groups of protesters, one for stricter immigration controls, one against, have literally beaten each other up today. France has massively bombed the ISIS. And I heard Germany now itself wants stricter immigration controls. Also, Poland now said no to immigration quotas.
Meanwhile on the Internet, conspiracy theories about the Paris attacks have already started, but then again they always start about every smallest thing so that comes of no surprise.
Meanwhile in Ukraine, the army is shooting on pro-Russian civilians in Donetsk again, in open violation of the ceasefire and both Minsk agreements.
This continent has become a piece of <insert expletive here>. Let's hope it returns back to its normal peaceful self ASAP.

Edit: Also, I was in Paris, but in 2005, with my parents. On the one hand, I've been lucky, we happened to go to the Louvre the day admission was free of charge. But on the other hand, it was the weekend Pope John Paul II. died so you can imagine the sadness that evening, when we learned of the news in our hotel room, watching Italian TV.
Paris is a beautiful city and it's a shame that now, 10 years later, it had to suffer this extreme tragedy. This is the second city I've been to that gets hit by a massacre. The first was Odessa, Ukraine, which was hit by one last year when Ukrainian ultra-nationalists/neo-Nazi's burned alive (with Molotov cocktails) over 100 pro-Russian peaceful protesters in the Trade Unions building and then proceded to beat up the survivors, cover up the corpses, etc., while most of the survivors were arrested(!). Ukraine and France has both become victims of the failed policies of our leaders. I hope this changes in the future. Europe has suffered enough atrocities already throughout the history, enough is enough.

Last edited by Battler; 2015-11-16 at 05:46.
Old 2015-11-16, 08:59
Neko

I used to love Paris. Been there in 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014
Old 2015-11-16, 11:09
Polly parrot

The saddest thing is, these attacks so far seem to have been carried out by people mostly from belgium, and as such, have not much to do with the refugees. But f**k that, let's bomb Syria. Will everyone in facebook now have Syrian flags or are killers lifes less worth than civilians ? They are ? Good to know I guess...
(Sorry, I'm provoking, but France going to war is making me angry and depressed )
Old 2015-11-16, 12:14
Neko

But these people from belgium are from/supporters of IS, so they bomb IS (in syria).

At least, that's how I understood it?

War is always sad, I have no idea how you can solve the issue.
Old 2015-11-16, 16:52
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
The saddest thing is, these attacks so far seem to have been carried out by people mostly from belgium, and as such, have not much to do with the refugees.
Oh really, nothing to do with refugees? I guess that's why two of the attackers were found to have been registered as refugees in Greece and passed through Hungary too.
Old 2015-11-16, 20:30
Polly parrot

I heard only one of them was, all the others were identified as being born in either France or Belgium. That is less than 0,000001% of the refugees who arrived in Europe.

Jesse : imagine the same in any other circumstances. Let's say there are severall crimes committed in Europe and a responsable of the japanese mafia raises its hand to say "we did it". Would it sound reasonable to go bomb an area of japan that according to intel is their headquarters ?

These crimes were commited by French citizens, and this points to the real problem, why would a person loose faith so hard in its own country, its own city ? why is France not able to take care of its citizens ?
This is a complicated matter, bombing foreign countries and saying that it will take care of the problem is much simpler. Politicians are using this attack to wage war, without asking the opinion of the people.

What is the difference between the last terrorist attack in France and the last bombing of Syria ? The bombing is legal.

Sorry once again, I through a lot of different ideas out here, I haven't cleaned everything in my head yet

Last edited by Polaris; 2015-11-16 at 20:36.
Old 2015-11-16, 21:35
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
What is the difference between the last terrorist attack in France and the last bombing of Syria ? The bombing is legal.
OK now, this is something very hard to agree with.
Old 2015-11-16, 22:33
Welcome to Zirla!

- Polaris: ISIS though want to establish a global Islamic caliphate and cleanse the world of any non-Muslim. This is Hitler-like ideology there. So bombing them now is just as justified as bombing Germany was in World War II.
Or are you saying the Allies had no right to bomb Germany even though Germany was systematically exterminating millions of Jews, while ruling over almost all Europe with an iron first?
Old 2015-11-16, 22:57
Polly parrot

Kasia : A terrorist attack happens inside a country, and as such, is subjected to said country's laws. Terrorism is illegal in France, so a terrorist attack is an illegal act of violence. A war on the other hand happens between two states, they are not doing something illegal, as both are in their own right, it is by both of their law, a legal act. That's why war is more of a problem than anything else, it is legal violence.
Just re-reading what you quoted from me I realise I might not have been very clear, I meant the bombing done by the French army.
Or maybe you meant the people who were killed were mostly soldiers ? I don't know, of course I despise killers, but I don't like the idea of wheighting human lifes, and I think death is a punishment that no one should endure.

Battler : I believe the countries that started to fight against Germany all did so after Germany or one of its allies declared war to them... Though you are raising a valid point, what would've happened, if Germany never went to war...
I'd say there are other ways to help, strangle the country economially, infiltrate it and help people escape, give them asylum, etc...

I think what bothers me maybe more than France going to war, is how they link it to the recent terrorist attack, whereas the two are not linked. The country is going to war through quite undemocratic descisions, and people feel that it is justified
Old 2015-11-16, 23:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- Polaris: ISIS though want to establish a global Islamic caliphate and cleanse the world of any non-Muslim. This is Hitler-like ideology there.
Yes.

Quote:
So bombing them now is just as justified as bombing Germany was in World War II.
Da'esh was fueled by the CIA to overthrow Assad. The U.S.A. and the Gulf state allies always prioritized regime change in Syria to concerns of "terrorism", there have been CIA training camps for anti-assad rebels for years, the Americans gave them the Toyotas, too. Not every Syrian rebel is part of Da'esh, but obviously anti-regime rebels are the great benefactors of U.S. policy in Syria (http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...sis-syria-iraq), including Islamist groups. The West created the problem it now wants to fix.

Quote:
A revealing light on how we got here has now been shone by a recently declassified secret US intelligence report, written in August 2012, which uncannily predicts – and effectively welcomes – the prospect of a “Salafist principality” in eastern Syria and an al-Qaida-controlled Islamic state in Syria and Iraq. In stark contrast to western claims at the time, the Defense Intelligence Agency document identifies al-Qaida in Iraq (which became Isis) and fellow Salafists as the “major forces driving the insurgency in Syria” – and states that “western countries, the Gulf states and Turkey” were supporting the opposition’s efforts to take control of eastern Syria.
Quote:
Or are you saying the Allies had no right to bomb Germany even though Germany was systematically exterminating millions of Jews, while ruling over almost all Europe with an iron first?
But the Holocaust wasn't the Allies' main reason to go to war. It was Germany's attacks on Britain that caused retaliation bombings in Germany. The moral justification you give was edited in later. It was only - if ever - a secondary goal of the Allied command to save Jews.
Old 2015-11-16, 23:23
Neko

Actually Hitler never wanted war with England. Luckily England never gave in.

Polly: the terrorists were from IS. So it is completely linked.
Old 2015-11-16, 23:27
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Actually Hitler never wanted war with England. Luckily England never gave in.
That, too. Still, it would be foolish to think the bombing was justified back in the day by the Holocaust.
Old 2015-11-17, 01:23
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold
Da'esh was fueled by the CIA to overthrow Assad. The U.S.A. and the Gulf state allies always prioritized regime change in Syria to concerns of "terrorism", there have been CIA training camps for anti-assad rebels for years, the Americans gave them the Toyotas, too. Not every Syrian rebel is part of Da'esh, but obviously anti-regime rebels are the great benefactors of U.S. policy in Syria (http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...sis-syria-iraq), including Islamist groups. The West created the problem it now wants to fix.
Yeah, I know that. But it's still a problem that has to be fixed. The problem is, that the neoliberals don't agree to any solution. Stricter controls on immigration? They complain. Bombing ISIS? They complain. So what should we do? Sit back and hope the ISIS some how disappears without us moving a finger?

I think first, someone needs to whip the south European countries and tell them to cooperate. Part of the reason for the uncontrolled flow of migrants is that the Balkan countries, rather than cooperating, have essentially been passing the ball to each other like "I'm not going to deal with them, you do it", "No, YOU do it", etc. And this creates chaos.
The problem is also Greece. You can't expect Greece to successfully control its borders with Turkey when its own people have nothing to eat and the country is being continuously strangled by Germany-imposed austerity bull****. Maybe if Germany & co. actually helped Greece instead of demanding it to strangle itself more with more austerity and against the will of the Greek people, Greece would have something with which to fund a proper police force with which it could control its borders.
Also, it's interesting that after the Paris attacks, Europe has been handling the problem the completely wrong way. I agree with stricter checks on the external borders (and I listed above the main problems with that), as well as with not inviting more people in (though Merkel seems to be insane enough to still want more to flow in), but the abolishment/suspension of Schengen that Hollande and Farage are calling for is just plain stupid. It's basically saying "We won't help Greece and the other southern countries get out of povery and become able to fund a proper police force to do proper checks on the EU border. Instead, we'll just isolate ourselves again to bring back our own comfort and fuck everyone else.".
It's time to drop this whole damned "we Western Europe rule, everyone else shut up and adapt", and finally become a more equal united Europe, and have our Western states man up and clean the mess, both economic, and social, that *THEY* created in the EU. It's time the behavior of France and Germany as the big bosses of Europe finally stops. The people already voted against both of their hegemonies with their guns when they defeated Napoleon first and Hitler second. It's time for France and Germany to respect that.
Old 2015-11-17, 11:39
Polly parrot

Hitler and Napoleon have nothing to do with today's geopolitical situation... Most of the voters weren't even alive by then...
Reinforcing borders is useless, refugees are numerous and motivated, they are running from war and would any kind of border stop you if you were running for your life ?
I don't know what the general opinion in other central/eastern european countries is, but here in Hungary, there is a strong "The EU is doing nothing for us, f**k 'em, let's be independent !" current. What I mean by that is pinning the blame on only western countries is absurd, as it seems no one wants to work with anyone anyway...
Old 2015-11-17, 13:07
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Hitler and Napoleon have nothing to do with today's geopolitical situation... Most of the voters weren't even alive by then...
Reinforcing borders is useless, refugees are numerous and motivated, they are running from war and would any kind of border stop you if you were running for your life ?
I don't know what the general opinion in other central/eastern european countries is, but here in Hungary, there is a strong "The EU is doing nothing for us, f**k 'em, let's be independent !" current. What I mean by that is pinning the blame on only western countries is absurd, as it seems no one wants to work with anyone anyway...
you do not live in paris anymore?
Old 2015-11-17, 16:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
More then useless. You got millions of innocent people running from terror. You shut them out, you blame them - you create more enemy's because you make yourself the villain.

Quote:
Yeah, I know that. But it's still a problem that has to be fixed. The problem is, that the neoliberals don't agree to any solution. Stricter controls on immigration? They complain. Bombing ISIS? They complain. So what should we do? Sit back and hope the ISIS some how disappears without us moving a finger?
I think at this point the best thing to do is to do a better job of cutting of their money. ISIS...actually, I quite like the idea to call them daesh so I will call them daesh. Daesh is comparatively very well funded. Thats one thing that makes them different to what comes before.

The problem with bombing is theres been a heck of a lot of fuck-ups. Id like to say "sure, bomb them", but we have hit civilian targets so often by mistake. I don't think we can be trusted at this point. Aside from the loss of life, it reinforces the idea the west is evil.
-
More long term, the other thing I think the US should do - and I am serious here - is invent weapons with build in obsolescence. Make weapons that can only last a year or two. Time and time again the US arm a group only for those same weapons to be used against them a decade later. If you give them weapons that only last a fixed period anyway, you remove that risk.

Oh, the other thing to remember is daesh is run by people from the old Iraq regime. It isn't ideological for the leaders - they just want the power they lost back.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...759_story.html
A lot of the media, playing it up as a conflict of ideologies, is sort of playing into what they want.

Tags
attack, france, fred, people, terrorist