Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2001-02-24, 21:20

For those of you that haven't yet seen the Doom 3 engine running on a Nvidia Geforce3 (to be released in march), you MUST see it! It's great. Doom in my opinion is a horrible game, so i'm not looking forward to that, but I see the potential for a good Lba-type game based on the engine. THAT WOULD RULE!

links:

http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=138158 <-- the movie!

http://www.stomped.com/published/red...59806_1_1.html <-- more info on geforce3
Old 2001-02-25, 00:55
Your God

Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix
Well I've just watched the movie. Phew, that is damn nice!

I am using a P233 with Voodoo2 so I don't think I'll be playing Doom3 in the near future though.

I think LBA would look fantastic in that engine, but Id's engines are nearly always crap at rendering large outdoor spaces and that is what LBA needs. Nowhere in that movie did you see large outdoor areas, I'm assuming that's because it would have become very jerky if it did.

The Unreal 2 Engine would be ideal for a 1st person LBA or perhaps the new Portal Engine being developed by Action Forms (used in the Carnivores games).

The thing is though that I think LBA should stay Isometric not 1st person. It would ruin the feel of it and I think that it would cause the developers to go over the top on the fighting side of it.
Old 2001-02-25, 11:27
Magic Ball Master

haven't seen the movie...

I hope they'll use a good game engine for the outdoor stuff. Like in Outcast, you had the most beautiful landscapes with perfectly round hills and such, but the problem was that it had NO support for 3D cards so it wouldn't run higher than 512x384 and still quite slugish.

On the other hand, polygon-based games often have no nice landscapes, or with very corny edges. But fortunately the 3D cards from these days are getting better and better in showing more and more polygons, just look at Motocross Madness and you'll know. Nice round hills and such.

Imagine Desert Island from LBA2 with such an engine. Wow...
Old 2001-02-25, 13:18
Loud & Heavy

Send a message via ICQ to V2
i wouldn't really care if lba3 would be created in the same engine as lba 2 since, i won't be able to run it otherwise

unless there will be a mac version of course

Death Metal... for life!!!
Old 2001-02-25, 14:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I hope they don't force a Geforce card ect.
LBA-2 had spectacular graphics considering what the min system spec was (I was running my pc Overclocked,just to get that spec.)
Aldine seem to have a very effient game engine for LBA-2, I think they should just update that engine, rather then using a different one.
Old 2001-02-25, 15:30
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Frankly, the engine of LBA 2 was quite supirior in that time, especially because it didn't need a 3d card (Unlike Quake 2)

The engine in one of the best I've seen (for that time). It had a very far range.

I also think the Quake 3 (doom 3) engine isn't so good for far sight, You really should check one of those Unreal 2 movies that are on the internet.
Old 2001-02-25, 15:33
Magic Ball Master

The only improvment I'd like to see in LBA3 would be a non-fixed camera, so the camera could move with Twinsen while moving. That would be cool.

But indeed, LBA has always been a game that would run at any computer, new or old (except that LBA1 hates Windows ).

BTW, a lot of games are still very good able to run with a simple TNT2 card in 640x480. Only for the higher resolutions you'll need a better card.
Old 2001-02-25, 16:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes, a non-fixed camera would be an improment.
As long as the game dosn't turn into a 3D platformer.
-----
Has anyone seen the Lord of the Rings trailer? it awwsumme
Old 2001-02-25, 23:04
Your God

Yeah, I'd also be perfectly happy with just a souped up version of the LBA2 engine, higher resolutions, GLIDE support etc. At least then I wouldn't be in for any nasty, atmosphere ruining suprises!

Has anyone played Delta Force Land Warrior. That uses Voxels (like Outcast) except it also has Direct 3D support so it's nowhere near as jerky. It also allows for indoor areas. But anyway here's the link to the new Carnivores engine http://www.action-forms.com it's going to be used in a game called "Duke Nukem: Endangered Species"
Old 2001-02-26, 09:17
Master of Science & Magic

Correction : The egnine Unreal 2 will use is this called the Unreal engine. The unreal engine is a ongoing development engine.
Voxels are nice to render outside worlds hill landscapes, but they suck for the rest. Delta Force only uses voxels to render the hills, the rest is done with polygons. Voxels can't be rendered by 3D cards.
Just looked at the movie... it looks pretty nice. But it's not the engine thta makes it great, it's the geforce. Because if you've seen the last movie of the unreal engine you will see that also they have these cool thingies. Anyway, it's going to look like a new 3D engine battle. Unreal vs Doom 3
Old 2001-02-26, 13:40
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Talkin about 3dcards.. Is TNT 2 32mb better than a Geforce 32mb?
Old 2001-02-26, 14:29
Neko

no geforce is better
Old 2001-02-26, 16:19
Magic Ball Master

That's right... and a GeForce 2 MX is hardly faster than a GeForce 256 with DDR ram.

[Edited by wacko on 27-02-2001 at 15:17]
Old 2001-02-27, 01:08
Your God

Wow, a 265! Never heard of that one

Elmo, voxels can now be rendered with 3D hardware through Direct3D as demonstrated by the outdoor areas in DF3:LW.

Another engine that would suit it nicely would be the one they were developing for Halo. I think that game has gone under now, but it was still a very nice engine. Also that "Citizen Kabuto" game has a good exterior renderer.
Old 2001-02-27, 10:53
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
What about the Sacrefy engine?
Anyone saw that one?
Old 2001-02-27, 11:46
Classic

I am supprised 3D cards don't support voxels yet.
If voxels (3d Pixels) can be made small enough the quality would be infinity better then Vistor (raster/vector) formats. The problem would actually be storage. A typical game charecter would have to be 5 or 6mb (and more if it has excessive animations).A typical Wireframe mess+textures is usualy 30k.
Old 2001-02-28, 00:44
Your God

Well I do believe that I just said voxels can be rendered using 3D hardware acceleration. I don't think there is any advantage in using voxel characters or weapons. Polygon models are so highly detailed in theses new games that all that really need improving on is the animation and texturing of them. Also, every tried texturing a pile of voxels....you'd never get detail anywhere near that on polygonal models.

And yes, the sacrifice engine is also very nice.
Old 2001-02-28, 09:37
Master of Science & Magic

The main problem with voxels is that when the resolution changes the number of voxels to display the same object changes.
Old 2001-02-28, 14:26
Classic

I did say 'if they can be made small enough'.
Think, it would take an incredably powerfull machine (with a lot of space/fast access), but you could have photo realistic charecters using voxels.The voxel format has the potential to form a 3D array (or 4D array), then a person could be 'scanned' for depth and colour information from a few angles, then you have a photo-real human.
Trying to do the same to get vector outwput would be much harder.
The BEST format possible would be a fractuly (or Percedraly) generated textures on a Fractular (formalur based) landscape. The means that no matter how close you get to an object it would not go pixely (PC/PSX) or (Like N64, blurred).It will take time by I think games will use this in 3/4 years