Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-06-18, 00:51
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Finished LA Noir.
Forget what I said: The main character has a past (you just have to go further to understand it), has a story, you don't just solve cases. It gets more Thriller-Noirish, at first it's just like a bounch of short mystery stories put together. The story is one of the most sad and realistic (as a Noir should be) ever in videogames. There are cases you just don't solve in a day, I'm not offended anymore :P Oh and it isn't THAT short as I thought.
Interrogation system takes a while to get used to... just forget all the fuss about "facial expressions", in most cases you just need to follow the story and what you found out, and you'll be allright.

In short, I was disappointed at the beginning, but the ending got me stuck to the controller: I wanted to know how it ends. Yet the ending left me disappointed once again, because there is no way to roam the world freely once you finished the main story, and if you had some secondary missions still open (I had like 15) you can't complete them. I said it's repetitive in the previous post, and I say it again. You need to get near the end to find something different. But I gotta admit that I enjoyed playing the good cop around the city. The last time I did that it was with Urban Chaos, and surely there was nothing of Adventure-ish in it. There are several interesting things and several problems with the game in general. You gotta try it to understand, but noone can say it's a bad game.

Last edited by Streg; 2011-06-18 at 01:09.
Old 2011-06-21, 09:39
LOLwut?

Duke Nukem Forever. Just finished it a couple of hours ago.

I kinda liked, as a retro-gaming experience.

While it certainly has some big drawbacks (load times, old and inconsistent graphics, too many jump sections) I think it's not as bad as the gaming press says.

Old 2011-06-23, 21:07
Magic Ball Master

Zelda Spirit Tracks

I picked this game up again after getting frustrated with a boss battle in it about a year ago. I'm now remembering how cool it is. Does anyone else have it? The dungeons and puzzles in this game are just ace. (The train overworld is okay, but not mind-blowing. Works for me.)
Old 2011-06-23, 21:29
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Duke Nukem Forever. Just finished it a couple of hours ago.

I kinda liked, as a retro-gaming experience.

While it certainly has some big drawbacks (load times, old and inconsistent graphics, too many jump sections) I think it's not as bad as the gaming press says.
True. IGN should shut the fuck up sometimes. I'm enjoying it more than the last Halo, honestly. And the joke Duke says about Halo made me laugh more than "I'm gonna take you out..." quote in LBA2 :P
Old 2011-06-24, 13:40
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Zelda Spirit Tracks

I picked this game up again after getting frustrated with a boss battle in it about a year ago. I'm now remembering how cool it is. Does anyone else have it? The dungeons and puzzles in this game are just ace. (The train overworld is okay, but not mind-blowing. Works for me.)
Have it but havnt played it yet. Picked it up on discount.

My DS games currently playing;

- Ghost Trick - playing (excelent game, superb animation)
- Advanced Wars: Dark Ruin (inferiour to the one before, but with a better campagn story - nearly completely campagn, probably wont 100% this like the last game though)

Purchased, yet to play;

- Spirit Tracks
- Okamiden
- Hotel Dusk
- Last window
- Layton 3

Its no wonder I havnt got any 3DS games yet :P
Old 2011-06-24, 14:07
Magic Ball Master

I have tons of games that I either haven't played at all, or haven't finished yet.
Old 2011-06-24, 21:16
Polly parrot

Agreed, Ghost trick is just fantastic !
Old 2011-06-25, 06:25
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

i'm enjoying a lot of old SNES games on my old nokia 6120 classic :P Who needs gameboys? :P
Old 2011-07-05, 00:02
LOLwut?

Crysis: At its best I felt like I was playing a better version of Call of Duty, or something that could rival Battlefield. But the final stage with the aliens was crap (I hated the last couple of bosses).

Also, the performance was terrible.

Even then, I had a good time overall. Guess Crysis: Warhead is in order, before getting to Crysis 2, which already have since April.

Old 2011-07-05, 12:47
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I recently discovered the wonderful world of emulating psx games.
looks like some of the best rpg's ever came out for that console.

currently i'm playing chrono cross which is just awesome, then i'll probably try final fantasy tactics, xenogears or grandia.
Old 2011-07-06, 00:56
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

So I heard of this new game Call of Juarez that is coming out or it is already got out I don't really care, as from the trailer it seems like a crappy version of Call of Duty Black Ops.
But reading the comments I found out that call of juarez is actually a game saga that has been setted in old west until the last game. A shocking decision for all fans, that claimed the first two games were just great and this will ruin the whole saga.

I was surprised I never heard of this call of juarez thing so I found the first two games at a very reasonable price. I beat the first in one day! It's not such a long game, true, but I loved every bit of it! There are some awful stuff, like the way you move creates (that's where Duke Nukem Forever copied that from), or the unarmed fights (just awful), but I loved all the rest. The main characters are great, the story is pretty catchy, it felt like a good Spaghetti Western. Graphics isn't so modern, as the game is from 2006, but it surely was good for that time.

Off to play the second game!
Old 2011-07-12, 13:06
Polly parrot

True, Chrono Cross is very beautifully done, and it's music is good too. Just listen to the battle theme
Old 2011-07-12, 18:39
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

it's a shame I don't really like RPGs. I know I'm missing a lot :P

Finished Back To The Future: The Game.
What is there to say? As long as Telltale games exists adventure games will never die. It's very easy, not challanging at all, the story surely couldn't be used to make a new BTTF movie, but that's the real protagonist: we never know what's going to happen next, and that's an aspect also the movies had. Voice actors are great, there's Christopher Lloyd for Doc, and the voice actor for Marty is so good I thought he was actually MJ Fox (he has a Cameo in the last episode). Not as epic and challanging as Monkey Island or Sam&Max, but a must if you are fan of the saga. Probably some of you are going to be disappointed by the ending or my the weird story (there are some things that aren't clear at all) but I liked it, even if there are these problems. The worst adventure by TellTale I ever played, yet, can't say it's a bad game.

Last edited by Streg; 2011-07-12 at 23:59.
Old 2011-07-12, 19:54
the legend

I've just finished the very special game Alone In the Dark (1992), for the first time.

It is such a strange feeling... I had played it several times long ago when a little kid, and I fully savoured it as it seemed so real to me, I was so immersed, involved by it's atmosphere;

At the same time, I've fully savoured it by playing it now with a different age and actually understanding what's going on, reading and searching for every book, every clue, etc, but I can't seem to get involved in it's atmoshere as before.

*sigh*

Nevertheless, it was very enjoyable to play, this is a MUST for anyone who likes LBA, Time Commando, etc, and one can obviously notice all the peculiarities games made by Sir Raynal have. There's even a little curious reference on their own team in one of the texts, with Yael Barroz and Phillipe Vachey's name's (check attach).

Speaking of Vachey, this was the first time I could listen to the game's music, for before, in my good ol' 386 it didn't work for some soundcard problem. It is curious to note that the game was actually a lot scarier without the music, all you could hear were those deep footsteps, or a thin cry of pain... the music actually becomes repetitive and annoying (sorry), particularly when monsters appear, so I had to turn it off; I sense this was one of his early works and imho he greatly improved quite rapidly, from this to LBA1's music, then another huge leap in LBA2's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png‎
Views:	51
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	8720  

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:18
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

heh yeah I remember teh Yael reference. Indeed it was a great game in 92, but today it feels very strange... eventually short if you just play to finish the game, without reading everything etc. But that's a feeling you don't get with LBA... if both games just had a "modern" graphics they would look very enjoyable today
Old 2011-07-13, 17:02
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I recently played Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, best one in the series so far imho.

Now I'm playing Team Fortress 2 every once in a while, since it went free to play. It's fun, if only a bit frustrating at first, though that applies to every online fps. Thankfully I'm quickly improving, coming from 3 years of Quake Wars: Enemy Territory (another team/class based fps) surely helps.
Old 2011-07-15, 00:18
the legend

Lemmings

Oh, the nostalgy!
I love buildings ladders... then making lemming blockers... only to explode them in the end haha (not my fault, I can't change their orders once it is given).
Got bored on lvl 18 though.

Btw, does anyone know what are those green arrows for?

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-07-15, 02:53
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

no.. can't remember :P or probably I never known. That's a great game...
and this game reminds me of Lomax( in which you're some kind of Lemming and you gotta save the worlds or something). It's a great platform really!
Old 2011-07-15, 10:27
LOLwut?

Just finished Crysis Warhead.

I enjoyed it more than Crysis, but it was short as hell D=

The story still doesn't make any sense.

On to play Crysis 2 now! And then Portal 2

Old 2011-07-15, 12:30
Polly parrot

Which green arrows ?
Old 2011-07-15, 15:11
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Which green arrows ?
oops, what a typo, I meant the green minus and plus in the bottom left.

Old 2011-07-15, 16:02
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

weren't they meant to set how quickly new lemmings should get out from the crate?
Old 2011-07-15, 16:49
Polly parrot

They were. That's why I asked what arrows, I knew what the + and - were for
Old 2011-07-15, 22:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Your talking about the left map screen - the bits of the landscape like left and right arrows cut off at the bottom?
Havnt a clue.
Old 2011-07-19, 03:13
the legend

Prince of Persia 2 (1993)

OMG. What a deception. HUGE. Deception.
Abandonia says it all:

Quote:
(...) Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow & The Flame is a collection of 15 levels of pain and frustration
(...) The movement is not smooth anymore and the actions are made with an annoying lag after pressing the respective key, which often kills your attempts at jumping over a pit, for example.
(...) they didn't make any sound for the footsteps, as if the prince were a ghost.
(...) If you have the patience of a monk, and the spirit of a warrior you'll simply love the game. Otherwise, the frustration that comes with learning every level corner and suffering death countless times before you understand how to avoid it will certainly take you closer to insanity.
I've played the demo of this game a long long time ago. Prince of Persia 1 (1989) is one of my favourite games ever, so it was about time to play the full version of it's official sequel. But it's a hopeless endless pit of frustration, and by the time I was in lvl7 I couldn't take anymore the crappy control and annoying repetition - you're not at any time rewarded for your efforts as a persistent player, all you get is harder and harder parts until you give up. The story isn't interesting or as good as the first, nor did I like the graphics, although some would say it is a huge improvement - I think the first had a load more of class.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2011-07-19 at 03:21.

Tags
games, videogames