Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-12-22, 01:45
weee

Yeah I get what you're saying.

But is it really needed to create a specific computer just for a piece of software? Shouldn't it be the other way around? PC components follow certain universal standards, while consoles like the Playstation are feral. Make a game for one PC, it will work on all PC's.

As for controllers (or "interfacing devices"), that's another story. I'm using the Xbox 360 controller for windows and I love it.
Old 2011-12-22, 02:24
the legend

Woo, discussion about gaming consoles and PCs! *grabs popcorn*

On a serious note, I agree with both sides, y'all have good points, hard to conclude anything.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-12-22, 02:45
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
But is it really needed to create a specific computer just for a piece of software? Shouldn't it be the other way around? PC components follow certain universal standards, while consoles like the Playstation are feral. Make a game for one PC, it will work on all PC's.
But then we never move on, we get stuck with the same setup, the same architecture. Just think how long it took for tablets to *really* kick off, I mean, they've been going since like 2003 at least, but what it took to really get it started was a company doing something completely different and separate (i.e. they didn't take Windows or Mac OS, they made something from scratch).

Also, as far as I'm aware PS3s were (are?) being sold for less than they cost to produce, because they expect to get that profit back on the games. You couldn't do this kind of thing with a PC, therefore you wouldn't be able to push super hardware to the public.

Consoles are essential in this food chain. It all breaks if you suddenly take them out.
Old 2011-12-22, 03:02
weee

Well maybe you're right, I dunno.

About the PS3's cost, yes. A computer with the same capabilities today costs about 2.5 times more. I read somewhere that some time ago the US military bought lots of PS3 consoles and installed linux on them to create a super computer network without spending too much budget.

I'm not sure they're essential in the 'food chain' though. The games I see running on consoles aren't anything so special that they couldn't run exactly the same on a standard AMD64 architecture.

It breaks my heart to see a powerful computer artificially restricted to run only the software its manufacturer wanted it to run. Such a horrible waste.
Old 2011-12-22, 22:04
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Consoles have the big advantages of pressing new control schemes - if it wasnt for consoles PCs would still be using either SNES pads or traditional joysticks :P
That said, I dont think loss-leaders should be done in any industry and consoles should let you run your own code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
, but what it took to really get it started was a company doing something completely different and separate (i.e. they didn't take Windows or Mac OS, they made something from scratch).
The iPad wasn't ¨from scratch¨ Both hardware and software based on the iPad Touch. Did you mean that one was made from scratch?

====

anyway....

Phoenix Wright (yeah,very late) - good game. Very unique gameplay mechanic.
Old 2011-12-23, 01:01
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
well, i prefer playing games like assassin's creed, sports, etc on xbox, and rpgs, adventure and fps on computer. Don't ask me why.
Anyway..... Star wars the old republic has been released recently. I was very pissed off the first day they announced this game. I wanted another Jedi Knight game, another Knights of the Old Republic Game, even a remake of X-Wing vs Tie-Fighters would have been great, I'd have bought any of these games very happily.
Anyway, here's the E3 trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw
now that looked promising. Too bad it's still a MMORPG and you to pay money monthly for one single game... well...
Ok now take a look at the actual game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhSUunZHKm8
Skip to 4:40
What the hell is this? Childish graphics and dull gameplay? Kotor I and II looked FAR more realistic and interesting. Now I may be wrong, but judging from this I'm so happy I never thought of buying this game. Oh, and I hope LucasArts loses a lot of money with this shit, and maybe they'll think better what their next game should be. Fuck.
Old 2011-12-23, 02:27
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post

The iPad wasn't ¨from scratch¨ Both hardware and software based on the iPad Touch. Did you mean that one was made from scratch?
I tried to avoid the whole iPhone & Appstore history as I didn't want to turn my argument into an Applefest . The point still stands, iPhone was unique & from scratch.
Old 2011-12-23, 13:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
but but the touch...... :P
---
Quote:
i prefer playing games like assassin's creed, sports, etc on xbox, and rpgs, adventure and fps on computer. Don't ask me why.
mouse and keyboard suits those genres better then two sticks probably.

Although JRPGs work fine on consoles (Tales of.., Xenoblade etc). Western (normally D&D based) stuff works better on PCs though.
Old 2011-12-28, 05:35
weee

Hey everyone, I got ahold of an extra rare game from 2000. [link] - it's a remake of the classic game Construction Bob in the Bouncing Factory. It was renounced by the author a few weeks after he uploaded it and taken down from the web. I thought I lost it, but now I found it in an ancient backup I apparently made once.

You will not find it anywhere else on the internet, so just download it now and play. Also upload it and share it as much as possible. It's great fun!

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2011-12-28 at 06:23.
Old 2011-12-28, 17:55
the legend

Good, good... downloaded.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-01-24, 06:46
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

downloaded some time ago... fun :P

I'm getting sick of the last outcoming games. Sites like IGN or gamespot are giving ratings like 8.5 and 9.5 so easily that they're putting no effort into making games. I even have got the suspect that companies are paying to have such high ratings! It's pretty funny that one of the games I prefer playing is LOTR: War in the North (rated 7 at ign). War in the north is One of the last games that supports local coop (this game probably sucks in single player), and one of the few action rpgs for modern consoles. If you have a friend to play this game with (locally or online) you won't regret it. Despite some bugs the game is very addicting: fights aren't easy at all, and your character not only is fully customizable, but even your armor and weapons change your aspects. (haven't seen that since dragon age 1). Kind of a retro game, and that's the way I like it.

Talking about action rpgs, I just discovered it's my favourite genre (after adventures... seems like I'm a fan of dying genres?). I played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 again, using a ps2 emulator. I'm having a lot of fun with Nier on x360 (rated only 7.00 at ign) and Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean last hope are already in my wishlist.

If you know some other good action rpgs (basically RPGS in which you control the character directly during fights) I might have missed just tell me, please...
I have an exam next week and a lot of stress to unload!!
Old 2012-01-24, 13:44
Classic

Dude, stop going to IGN. They never were that great, but in recent years they have gone downhill massively.
Old 2012-01-25, 14:50
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
If you know some other good action rpgs (basically RPGS in which you control the character directly during fights) I might have missed just tell me, please...
I have an exam next week and a lot of stress to unload!!
I'll give you my most sincere opinion: one should not leave this life as a gamer without playing Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood by Spellbound, even if you're not particularly a fan of Robin's story.

I am not sure whether it is a "action RPG", but it is a real-time strategy that you actually control the fights - and what a marvelous characther control you have!

Not only that, the graphics are sheer beauty. I have never seen a game with such a dazzling enviroment. Not to mention the soundtrack !

The only "bad" part is that it's a single-player campaign, so if you were looking for developing lvl's, acquiring xp's and fighting in dungeons online with friends kind of stuff, then this is not for you. In that case, Diablo is the best game of that sort I can of (yes, very old but still gold).

Hope it helps.

Old 2012-01-25, 15:21
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Thanks, wishlisted No, I totally hate online gaming, and that's not exactly what I had in mind, but it reminds me of sacred and desperados... so I guess I'll like it
Old 2012-01-25, 15:35
the legend

You like Desperados? so you'll LOVE this one!

It's made by the same company, they've made 3 games in this same genre with a few minor gameplay changes: Desperados (cowboys), Robin Hood (medieval) and Chicago 1930 (gangsters).

I've played all of them, and I assure that Robin Hood is the best of the bunch. Chicago 1930 is nice too, but not as fun, because it is meant to be realistic and you can't just go on killing without impunity (ie: you go to jail). A nice aspect of it is that you can play either as police of mafia. Worth a try as well, but Robin Hood comes first!

Old 2012-01-25, 21:04
LOLwut?

Old-School kicked in, so I'm playing The Leyend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

It's very nice, although the dungeons can get a little repetitive (First time playing a Zelda game here, I don't know how they even let me join MBN to begin with :P).

Also, I've finished Resident Evil Zero, for the Wii. It's probably the second worst old-style RE game ever (Code Veronica "Wins") The swapping mode it's so tedious, going back and forth the same placer over and over again it's a chore. Now, I'm grateful the franchise decided to move to more action-based gameplay.

Old 2012-01-25, 22:30
Classic

Funnily enough the last game I played was the RE:Revelations demo on the 3ds.
Very impressive stuff engine wise.
Too early to tell gameplay wise, but they seem to have a action/puzzle mix and the scanner they ripped off metroid could work quite well.
Old 2012-01-26, 00:26
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
You like Desperados? so you'll LOVE this one!

It's made by the same company, they've made 3 games in this same genre with a few minor gameplay changes: Desperados (cowboys), Robin Hood (medieval) and Chicago 1930 (gangsters).

I've played all of them, and I assure that Robin Hood is the best of the bunch. Chicago 1930 is nice too, but not as fun, because it is meant to be realistic and you can't just go on killing without impunity (ie: you go to jail). A nice aspect of it is that you can play either as police of mafia. Worth a try as well, but Robin Hood comes first!
I played Chicago 1930. Loved the cops campaign, but Desperados had something more. I don't know if you already played Desperados 2, so in case you haven't... DON'T! It will ruin all good memories you have of the original desperados!
I didn't know that the same company made also Robin Hood... I'm sure I'm gonna love it. Thanks, I'll let you know!
Old 2012-01-26, 21:47
weee

Are there any good new adventure games anyone can recommend? I love playing Wadjet Eye games (Gemini Rue was in particular awesome, and I'm enjoying the Blackwell games as well), and Sam & Max are great, but damn it, some eye candy would sure be nice. Where's the awesomeness? Games like The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango? Or heck, even Syberia?

An adventure game that's new, has good voice acting, good graphics, AND a good plot. Is that too much to ask for? I haven't seen one in years.

An action-adventure will do too... but not stuff like Tomb Raider or Deus Ex (that's a lot more action than adventure), more like something like Beyond Good And Evil. I needs good plots.
Old 2012-01-26, 23:04
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
An adventure game that's new, has good voice acting, good graphics, AND a good plot. Is that too much to ask for? I haven't seen one in years.
... pretty much anything by TellTale Games?

Alternatively, there were some indie point and click adventure games by AGS (game studio), even if you want eye candy, sometimes the simpler the more effective. Try "5 Days A Stranger".

Also if you haven't finished all Alone in the Dark series, the 3rd one is worth a try. And there's Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, a highly underrated game. Although not quite adventure, more like puzzles.

Old 2012-01-26, 23:26
Classic

True Action Adventures are still incredibly rare. BG&E,Zelda,LBA and Okami (+Okamiden)

For good point and clicks (outside Telltales stuff), frankly, the NintendoDS absorbed the market. It started somewhat with "AnotherCode" and the massive success of ProfessorLayton but then you quickly got a whole load of fairly serious story based adventures; 999,Hotel Dusk,"AGAIN", The Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games.
Oh, and theres also "Ghost Trick" which is a adventure that kinda defies easy category.
All of these are highly story focused, and some have amazing stories.
Obviously none are fully voice acted (cutscene only in some), but many have better graphics then S&M :P

By comparison, the only other PC P&C I have played recently and enjoyed was Secret Files:Tunguska - which wasn't really serious, but was fairly fun. Sequel was ok too, and theres a third game coming.
Old 2012-02-03, 13:52
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

If you know L. Frank Baum's Oz at all, even just the Wizard of Oz, Emerald City Confidential was a point and click game which I really enjoyed. If you know Oz well it is really interesting to see how they've portrayed it, if not it's still enjoyable.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-02-03, 14:56
Classic

I read the first 4Oz books in the form of Scotty Youngs beautiful comics;
(love that guys artwork, fits the storys/humour so well)
Amazes me they keep only turning the first into a movie.
Old 2012-02-03, 15:50
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

I'm not even sure how many people are aware that there are more. I always think there should be more Oz movies!
See here for Emerald City Confidential, btw.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine

Last edited by Mia; 2012-02-03 at 15:55.
Old 2012-02-03, 15:55
Classic

Well, they do sequels occasionally, and spin offfs ("Wicked") but they arnt based L. Franks books. Its just weird.
Theres even a prequal in the works right now, Disney I think.

Anyway, I might check out that P&C sometime

Tags
games, videogames