Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-02-26, 13:22
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
really? I played it in English because I feared something like that could happen! who the hell does these localizations?
It's a fortune there's no important video-game company in italy... imagine what they would do translating from italian to english :P
Honestly? I played the game in english too (always do). I read those abominations because my friends who didn't know english played it in italian.
Old 2012-03-17, 18:30
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The Last Story - Interesting. Clearly has had as much love and effort put into it as Xenoblade, but in considerably different area's.
It lacks the wonderful, vaste, open-world landscapes in favour of a more (but not totally) liner system of progression and storytelling.
And while the landscapes arnt as big or imaginative, they are very pretty with lovely artwork and surprisingly good lighting for the Wii (HDR? or some good fake of it).

Of special mention is the animations - some of the best I have ever seen. When you bump into people walking around town, they stagger and react correctly. Its still probably canned animations, but they at least did one from each angle and its a heck of a lot better then any other RPG I can think of.
Its especially funny when you make them fall over :P

I am also very much enjoying the Battle system. It has a nice tactical overview, and plenty of options mid-battle. Its certainly way beyond the "hack/slash and the odd spell and the stats do the rest" that most RPGs favour.
The difficulty doesn't seem to ramp up enough though, at least, not yet. The stadium in town has yet to provide any challange at all, which is shame given the tactical nature of the battle system.

One other negative is the storytelling method seems rather lazy. Rather then completely continious like Xenoblade, frequently you run into a cutscene, after which the screen goes blank and the narator says what happens and....bam...your in a different location.
This probably allowed them to make the game easier, but I prefer being told where to go and then doing it myself. (as long as travel is quick, as it is).
Xenoblade didnt have a single cut like this - you played everything basicly with nothing happening "off camera" to your party.

That said, really enjoying the game overall.
I look forward too seeing if it beats Xenoblade, but I am very pleased its significantly different.

Phoenix Wright - Finally finnished the last trial. Wonderfull storytelling, humour and superb puzzles. Certainly getting the next games!
Old 2012-04-06, 10:04
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Maybe someone can answer my question? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9142801AA2os0j

(it would be so much easier if Aadvark was still alive...)
Coincidentally I was talking about this with a friend who's studying game design recently. She'd produced this for one of the assignments. I think it's very clever.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-04-06, 12:26
Polly parrot

Just tried it out.
It's... strange... it's very simple and yet... I don't if I can say I enjoyed it, because it didn't last very long, but I sure begun stressing that I won't find the exit in time. She should add something that generates levels, because as it is, it has no replay value.
Old 2012-04-21, 22:18
Magic Ball Master

Been playing some Trine 2. Fabulous game, looks amazing and plays quite well. A puzzle game with some action elements is what I'd call it. Pity the demo is only available on Steam even though the game has an official Linux version.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Runescape - Gave it a go after a 4 years break. Lots improved - some quests now fully voiceacted, graphics range from LBA2 level now upto a weird but-not-quite PS2 level (higher textures/dynamic shadows, but worse in other ways).
They put a hell of a lot of work into having minigames and making it less repedative too. They might not get the respect of WoW or such, but you can really see them trying their best.

Metroid Fussion (GBA) - Got a free on the 3DS as a earlier buyer. Have too say its very good, nice difficulty balance, interesting upgrades etc.

The Last Story - Get Xenoblade. I was unsure till I completed this, but at 30 hours vs 300 hours, Xenoblade wins. The Last Story is good, and better in some area's, but falls down at storytelling quite a bit (too many blackouts and text telling you what happened, vs Xenoblade lets you play every bit of story). Also, TLS seems very short and unsatisfying. Only 1 town in the whole game? Many things cant be unlocked unless you play online? bah.
Still, it IS a good game. But Xenoblade is a reason too own a Wii, The Last Story is not.
Old 2012-05-08, 21:11
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Runescape - Gave it a go after a 4 years break. Lots improved - some quests now fully voiceacted, graphics range from LBA2 level now upto a weird but-not-quite PS2 level (higher textures/dynamic shadows, but worse in other ways).
They put a hell of a lot of work into having minigames and making it less repedative too. They might not get the respect of WoW or such, but you can really see them trying their best.
I don't play since 4 or 5 years. I logged in some months ago, I saw that all the free quests were completed and I logged out
Old 2012-05-08, 22:57
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Metroid Fussion (GBA) - Got a free on the 3DS as a earlier buyer. Have too say its very good, nice difficulty balance, interesting upgrades etc.
Do you mean upgrades to the gba version ? If so, what kind ?
Old 2012-05-09, 01:02
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Coincidentally I was talking about this with a friend who's studying game design recently. She'd produced this for one of the assignments. I think it's very clever.
This is actually so very interesting. I've asked her to re-upload, gotta try this.

Fishos question was interesting too, I've never thought of that myself. Considering I'll be making a serious game project in the near future (with a team ofcourse), I'll be sure to explore that aspect.
Old 2012-05-09, 13:11
Classic

Quote:
I don't play since 4 or 5 years. I logged in some months ago, I saw that all the free quests were completed and I logged out
Odd, they didn't add much free quests in the last few years , but they did a few.

Also, theres the new task system, which is half way between achievements to get and mini-quests.
Just random things to do splattered about the world, random spins on that wheely thing each day etc.

I guess it does it irritate if your not a member though with a lot of areas off limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Do you mean upgrades to the gba version ? If so, what kind ?
No, sorry to get you excited, its just the GBA game emulated pretty exactly.
I meant the in-game upgrades that samus gets. I like the speed-boast thingy.
Old 2012-05-09, 22:56
Polly parrot

Well that's sad
Metroid fusion is indeed a good game, try Zero mission, you get the upgrades in a different order, it gives you a new point of view.
Old 2012-05-11, 13:12
Idyllic + whimsical

Finished Rayman Origins. Visually and musically stunning, probably the best oldschool platformer to be released since oldschool platformers were just platformers.

Now playing Bastion after it was on sale in Steam. Didn't have much time to play but the art and music is great here as well.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-05-13, 10:57
Magic Ball Master

Just finished playing weeks ago Motorstorm RC for Vita. The game is great for that platform, addicted and in a very low price.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2012-06-03, 22:21
Magic Ball Master

Psychonauts - That Linux version is still in development. Needs a patch from the bugtracker site to fix crashes. There's no easy way to switch the displayed language. Getting it to work in a multi-monitor setup is a bit of a chore. And then there's that PulseAudio problem that refuses to have ALSA working for 32-bit applications, which forces the game to fall back to OSS, and you need the PulseAudio OSS emulation to get the sound working (padsp)... and then there's no music outside of cutscenes, and the textures are all glitchy in the first level. Not to mention the game captures your mouse and keyboard completely, no way to alt+tab out of it or even just adjust the volume with the meta keys on the keyboard. Meh, I hope this improves

Bastion - everything works out of the box, even the multi-monitor TwinView setup is recognized properly. Though it still misses an easy in-game language switcher.
Old 2012-06-07, 21:33
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Old 2012-06-08, 02:41
Magic Ball Master

Humble Bundle ups the ante - holy crap! Now also with Braid, Super Meat Boy and Lone Survivor. Only 6 more days to go - remember that the Linux version of Super Meat Boy is not available outside of Humble Bundle as of now.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:57
Polly parrot

Is Lone survivor any good ?
Old 2012-06-08, 13:03
Magic Ball Master

No idea what that game actually is, I just listed it for completeness. I was more concerned about the other too, which are, rumors have it, quite good.
Old 2012-06-08, 17:44
Polly parrot

True, Braid is awesome ! I haven't played super meatboy that much...
Old 2012-06-09, 00:54
Polly parrot

I prefer Portal 1 I must say.
Old 2012-07-12, 22:17
Magic Ball Master

We need more moderation to get rid of all the spam, it's really making a mess out of the forum.

Last game I played is Ultima IV because it is available for free on Good Old Games, it has been for about a year, I think. I also installed the music patch. Never played any game like this before, it's quite hard getting used to it when every action requires you to use a different cryptic key on your keyboard in order to perfom it. Then I got terribly lost and teleported all over the place, and now I need a map to even find back home to a place where I would be able to heal myself properly, without just dying in the wilderness.

How did people play these games without the internet?
Old 2012-07-13, 15:45
Classic

GoG needs to sale spare time! Too many great games too cheap and tempting :P

Anyway, playing Portal2 and Skyward Sword still - not much gaming time so I am really behind

As for mods, I could assign more, but its a patch. Gota figure out a more permanent solution.
Old 2012-10-18, 15:45
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

I bought a Nintendo DsI XL recently and the first game I got was Broken Sword 1 - Director's cut.

what kind of remake is that? I played it in the past, but In the end I got back to the original game for some reason. Now I finished the whole remake... and... what the hell?

One year ago I wrote about Broken Sword in this thread

Quote:
“He looked at me as if I'd farted at a funeral." is a quote that should remain in the history of videogames.
That sentence has been removed in the remake. Genious.

Quote:
"YOU can die (meaning game over), and when you do not only you get to see your crivelled wtih bullets body dripping with blood, but you can also see it thrown down the water by the bad guys, or see the undertaker covering your hole."
You can't die anymore! The real exciting thing about this game is that you were always afraid to do something wrong and die, you had to think quickly or you'd die, in some parts of the game you really had that sense of fear. Now you can't die, George will just say "That could be dangerous" or MOVE BY HIMSELF. This remake sucks... I know this way also children can play BS1 but BS isn't meant to be for children. Stick with the original version if you can.
Old 2012-10-18, 18:25
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Awesome coincidence. Just recently I played the first Broken Sword for the first time, and found it really awesome. And just today I downloaded the director's cut.

Streggy - what about the scene
Spoiler:
in Syria, where Khan shoots you if you don't shake his hand with a buzzer and then quickly jump off the cliff? How did they design this scene in a way which won't enable dying?

Or the shooting scene in the train near the ending?

Last edited by morshem; 2012-10-18 at 21:42.
Old 2012-10-18, 23:19
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Awesome coincidence. Just recently I played the first Broken Sword for the first time, and found it really awesome. And just today I downloaded the director's cut.

Streggy - what about the scene
Spoiler:
in Syria, where Khan shoots you if you don't shake his hand with a buzzer and then quickly jump off the cliff? How did they design this scene in a way which won't enable dying?

Or the shooting scene in the train near the ending?
Spoiler:

The train scene is just stupid, makes the whole train trip useless. Wherever you click or if you just wait a few seconds, George will pull the brake lever automatically. The part in Syria when Khan is about to kill you if you try to use any other items George will say something like "No way" and you can try any other item until you click on the buzzer. You don't need to click on the cliff, he will jump on his own.

Ridiculous uh? Next time (in a few years when I happen to forget most of the stuff ) I'll be sure to play the origianal version.

Tags
games, videogames