Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2002-04-24, 01:38
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Twinsen LBA1 Crash problem

I'm running LBA1 on a 166 MHz Pentium MMX with 32 MB RAM, with MS-DOS 6.00 (no Windows whatsoever!), a Soundblaster AWE32 sound card. The MEM command shows I have 615K free conventional memory, 13K free upper memory, and over 31 Megs XMS or EMS memory (I know LBA1 doesn't use EMS memory). I ran MemMaker (I read other threads that say it doesn't help and may make things worse).

Relentless boots OK and runs fine with music and sound UNTIL Twinsen acquires an inventory item. When the 'bwong' sounds and Twinsen starts flapping his arms the program immediately crashes and either freezes with graphic trash on the bottom of the screen or the computer reboots. I'm using the latest SB16/AWE32 group driver set for DOS downloaded from Creative Labs, the sound card setup utility says everything is OK, and other programs run fine. Following instructions in the LBA readme.txt I tried REMing out the EMM366.EXE in my Config.sys file but it still crashes at the same point. The game runs FINE with sound and music turned off, so it seems to be a problem with with sound card/memory. It should work with the AWE32 card but it can't seem to get past adding an inventory item.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Is it a bug? Is there an official patch for LBA1? (not the wonderful patch to run it in Windows). Would upgrading MS-DOS to Version 6.22 (if I can find it) help at all?
Thanks!
Old 2002-04-25, 13:18
Magic Ball Master

I haven't heard of this problem before. And no, there are no official patches for LBA1.

Hmm... I think you could try to change SoundBlaster type, if the AWE32 is backward compatible. So instead of choosing the AWE32 you could try selecting the SoundBlaster 16 for example. Trying several settings might get you to get it working.

Otherwise I wouldn't know what to do so quickly.
Old 2002-04-29, 07:58
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
Hmm, I have a feeling that awe32 means most problems. I maybe have right.
I think that it's wise to question anyone or anything who thinks that they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws comprise the concept of God. And I'd have to be smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy life is to enjoy it and not to try to spend your time to deconstruct it. Ultimately, on the most of tombstones it should read: "Humans: Fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway." - Devin Townsend