Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2005-11-05, 18:15
Magic Level: Green Ball

Send a message via MSN to StraToN
Translation for LBA2 documentary

Hello everybody,
first of all, I want to introduce myself. Well my name is Julian Murgia, I am french, student in programmation.

I've found this website, where I downloaded the little documentary (is it the correct word ?) in French. I played it and I thought it would be absolutely not understandable for english people, first because the sound is really bad, and also because it is simply French.

English people must understand what's been told, that's why I spent my time to translate all from French to English. Please excuse the errors I may have done...

Here it is :

FREDERICK RAYNAL - Project Leader

There are more dialogs in LBA2, the story is much more "twisted",
LBA1's story was more simple, so there's more "story", but there's also more action, because we doubled the surface but the game is just a few bigger. In this way, the player may "trott" a few more, but above all we have a better repartition of the things.
In LBA1, you had every time a fight to continue, now it's more outdoors, I'm going somewhere, when you come in it's more "moving".

I think we have well fixed the progression, with some moments a little more "thrill-less", fights, more reflection, etc.

Outdoors were giving you more space to run around, but indoor you nocked Twinsen on the walls, and you were loosing health, just on knocking. This point was really boring for the players*, so now you can run everywhere, you just slip on the walls. Well it's less realistic, but it makes the game more "playable". In the same mind, we have accepted the critics about the fact that when you were in Normal Mode, you could use the spacebar to look around, act on the environment, but we thought that it was possible to stay in Sportive Mode for those actions ; we just added a key so you can look around, talk, search while staying in other modes.

Another important thing that we've fixed, is the Holomap. Well the Holomap permits you to seen the planet, it's same planet as LBA1, Twinsun, and what we've added is - so you have arrow keys to turn the planet of course - when you learn something important in the story, a red arrow is placed on the map, where the player has to go, and we added a map level, where you see precisely the island where you are - so I'm in Twinsen's house here, and here is the important point, it's the Pharmacy. In the story, the Dino-Fly crashed himself down, and you have to find something to help him.
It's a pretext for the beginning of the story and problems that will come next.

So this is made to simplify the player's life, because when you've some very big outdoors, we didn't want the player to spend all his time to search for the way to go, this method is more direct.

So, this is the tool which permits you to edit differents places where you're supposed to go. For example you have the number of polygones - well it doesn't concern the houses but it is about 300-400 polygones for all the objects on the map.

We test all chipsets, if we are on a Pentium, UMX (Unix ?), Cyrix, something else, etc. and according to the chipset, the game will use routines adaptated for the computer. We will certainly try to make a 3DFX version, everything will be included in the program.

* exact words in French are : "ça les a fait criser à fond"

--- Little video of Twinsen's spaceship

SEBASTIEN VIANNAY - lead programmer

In fact we are using this coding tool, which is made to help programmers to use datas, resources brought by the musician, scenarists, etc. So the coders use this tool. When maps are built, scenes are built, coders can add a character in the scene, using the mouse, by a double-click where they want to create the object. So here I'm going to... (music), here it is, I've placed a characted in the scene, and this character can be programmed. Each

character had two windows for coding : one to edit moving phases (ndt : the right window), so we add flags like this, to make the character moving from a flag to the next one. Next, we have an Events part (ndt : left window) where we program his reaction to events. If Twinsen tries to talk him, what'll be going on, if he kicks him, how will he react to this aggressivity, etc, etc.

For example, a character "warrior" will have a comportment of guarding a door, and Twinsen will kick another guard, and the one that has been kicked can say "Attention, someone's here !", so he'll pass in another comportment where he will run in Twinsens's direction and try to shoot him, and after he may think that the hero is too far away, and he'd better go back to his door.

The hero is programed too, for each scene, to know events acording to his position, so it can launch actions. For example, if I go near this point, and if I own the good object in the inventory, then it opens this door. All those things are programed in the Hero's life where wel tell him "attention, if you in this zone and that you choose this object in the inventory, then open the door".

-- Video

ARNAUD LHOMME - animator & designer 3D

So this is a tool that permits us to build models with only 530 polygons, a reasonnable number to make fluid animations.

And... When we have finished the character, we must anim it.
We can set the position of each limb, record it, and the tool can make an animation using those "key-positions", so you have here those key positions*. You can see that we have 6 positions, this one for exemple, well I have destroyed the first one by moving the arm, but when we start the animation, the engine creates more frames, because between each key, it automatically calculates all the intermediar positions.

* French usually use lots of words to say something very small in English. They like to repeat what they say too, so this sentence is a little smaller in english than pronounced in French.

FREDERIC LAQUET - graphist senior (= leader)

First of all, the "master" gives us all the informations, lets us participate to the project's elaboration, for technical things to, because we must know if what we have to do can be done. In fact, we can do everything, we have some production orders, we must finish in time so we try to do the maximum of things as we can, and we must keep a certain coherence. It needs a big calculating time, and we sometimes do other things at the same time. For example I'm working on this scene for 6 months, but I also repair some databases, or if I find a problem on a object, I tell it to graphists. It is a unit.

PHILIPPE VACHEY - musician

I tried to keep the same mind as in LB1, in LBA2. It is always options like orchestry music... The difficulty in video games in comparison to movies, is that in movies, music depends on the moment it is played, the scene, and the problem was to create a music that "moves", that is "emotive", to make the player support the repetition, because when you play, it is usually when you begin a scene one more time, it must be acceptable.

The creation ans composition side is made here, and the final artistic production is made in Paris, Delphine Studios.

*** In the game, when Twinsen enters in the Women Side, they say "Satyr !" and "Get out !"

In the end, the message is : the sountrack is picked from LBA1.

Last edited by StraToN; 2005-11-05 at 22:41.
Old 2005-11-05, 19:13
Somewhere

Send a message via AIM to ellimac Send a message via MSN to ellimac Send a message via Yahoo to ellimac
"bijour" [/voix du rabibunny sur son tapis volant qui n'peut rien nous vendri ]

GOOOOD WORK you did here StraToN (although i won't exactly need it, but i'm sure a lot of people shall be grateful)
and welcome on board

LinX:
* vote for LBA here !!!
* find out what raynal said A LONG TIME ago here !!!
* get to listen to my midi version of LBA's Theme here !!! (or (the beginning of) my own LBA's Theme mp3 version??)
* See my 1st Franco parade drawing here !!! (and relentlessly encourage me to finish the 2nd one!)
* Wish me happy birthday more than 6 months late here !!!
Ok elli, let's just STOP here, ok???
Old 2005-11-05, 21:22

lol ellimak
bijour à toi aussi ! Happy to come on a forum only dedicated to LBA, even if I don't speak french, but no pb, i like speaking english. Thanks for your welcome. edit : je n'ai même pas remarqué que tu etais français, et même françaisE d'après ce que j'ai pu voir

I don't remember the character you are talking abo... OOH yes now I remember. I am surprised, this character (the one who sells magician costumes, right ?) speaks french in the English version of LBA (difficult for me to say "Relentless"...) !

One information more : i didn't understand "rabbibunny", i think you wanted to talk about a "Lapichon" for this type of characters (big thin dog-like characters).

This translation is not always exactly correct, but it permits to people who don't understand a word of French to understand this excellent interview. I tried to make it as good as I could, and as close as possible to the french. It should be correct.

Last edited by StraToN; 2005-11-05 at 22:10.
Old 2005-11-05, 22:23
Boobs!

Thank you so much! I tried to get some people to help, but he was talking too fast for them!

Last edited by SebZ; 2005-11-06 at 12:12.
Old 2005-11-06, 05:19
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Yeah, this is very good job indeed .

Obrasilo once provided some translation, but it was all babelfished, and completely not understandable...
Old 2005-11-06, 11:32

Well I hope this traduction is understandable for all

I made it for fun, don't really need thank me this much...
Old 2005-11-06, 12:11
Boobs!

Um... yeah, we kinda do...
Old 2005-11-06, 13:16
Somewhere

Send a message via AIM to ellimac Send a message via MSN to ellimac Send a message via Yahoo to ellimac
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraToN
I don't remember the character you are talking abo... OOH yes now I remember. I am surprised, this character (the one who sells magician costumes, right ?) speaks french in the English version of LBA (difficult for me to say "Relentless"...) !
The character i was referring to comes from LBA2 ("twinsen's odyssey" for the world ) I didn't know he was speaking french in the english version, are you sure about that??

Quote:
One information more : i didn't understand "rabbibunny", i think you wanted to talk about a "Lapichon" for this type of characters (big thin dog-like characters).
yeah, indeed, sorry, i'm getting used to the english lexicon but in french it's still lapichon (whadayatalking about, they're rabbit-like, not dog like, "lapin"-like, hence their name! )

LinX:
* vote for LBA here !!!
* get to listen to my midi version of LBA's Theme here !!! (or (the beginning of) my own LBA's Theme mp3 version??)
* See my 1st Franco parade drawing here !!! (and relentlessly encourage me to finish the 2nd one!)
Old 2005-11-06, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimac
The character i was referring to comes from LBA2 ("twinsen's odyssey" for the world ) I didn't know he was speaking french in the english version, are you sure about that??
Um, little mistake in fact I thought you were english (because of using the english word "rabibunny" i didn't know), but you were effectively french. So I don't really know if this character speaks french or english in the english version of LBA2 when he says "bijour" :P

Quote:
yeah, indeed, sorry, i'm getting used to the english lexicon but in french it's still lapichon (whadayatalking about, they're rabbit-like, not dog like, "lapin"-like, hence their name! )
I'd better have a look one more time, i didn't play LBA since about 1 year. Rabbits ? uh... They do not have so big ears as rabbits, don't they ? edit : after looking the encyclopedia, rabbibunnies DO have big ears.
hof, anyway I just reinstalled LBA1 & LBA2, to finish them out once again ^^ I just needed a patch for LBA2, graphics bug on my pc, i'll test this evening ^^

Last edited by StraToN; 2005-11-06 at 13:53.
Old 2005-11-06, 14:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Wonderfull, thanks for that
Old 2005-11-06, 21:01
Somewhere

Quote:
in fact I thought you were english
Quote:
/voix du rabibunny sur son tapis volant qui n'peut rien nous vendri
woah, i'd've ruled in french (AND in LBA-french )

LinX:
* vote for LBA here !!!
Old 2005-11-09, 21:46
Magic Ball Master

Wow, alot of time I thinking about requesting that, to make a str/sub (subtittle) file for it. Thanks and great work

Btw, I have that documentary in my mobile phone

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2005-11-10, 05:06

Isn't it like 60 MBs or something? How do you have so much space?
Old 2005-11-10, 14:54
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem
Isn't it like 60 MBs or something? How do you have so much space?
Actually I have 512MB (card)+8MB(internal), but to see in the mobile its needed a convertion that also play with subtitles. I convert it and it occupes 8MB+/-. The quality is the same and we can see it very well. I'll try to post a link for it later.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2005-11-10, 16:44

Mmh, maybe I could create some subtitles over the doc... I'm not on my PC, by this one is powerful as mine... The problem is that I need some tools or softwares to create those subtitles, and apply them directly on the video (and not with some *.sub files).

Does anybody have an idea about this point ?
Thanks ^^
If I can get all what I need, I could do it, now for example :P
Old 2005-11-10, 19:30
weee

Subtitle Workshop is the best for making subtitles, so I've heard. It does make "some .sub file" (which is good enough imho), but then you can merge it with the movie using VobSub.
Old 2005-11-10, 20:11

Yeah, it's a good program indeed.
Old 2005-11-10, 21:16
Magic Ball Master

StraToN, can you also post your french extract of the interview? Thanks.

Old 2005-11-11, 11:59

@ChaosFish : thanks, i'll download those 2 softs and I'll try to use them next week (my weekend's full ).

@alexfont : of course ! Well, I can't do it now, but I think next week i could post it here. What is it for ?
Old 2005-11-11, 12:02
weee

Also I'll be happy if you post the .sub file when you're done, it's nicer than built-in imo

Also what's this doing in Fan Creations?
--> General
Old 2005-11-11, 12:27

No problem when it's done, i create a zip :P
Old 2005-11-11, 13:09
Magic Ball Master

I was requesting the French one to make the str subtitles, but if you wanna do I'll not make it. I try yesterday Subtitle Workshop and is great.

...And I don't think merge the sub with the movies is a good ideia, with this we could have it in other langs too and thats what we want...

Hhmmm.... btw, where El get that interview? From the LBA2 site? Maybe requesting to Fred/LBAteam the unedited interview would be great, maybe we have more to see. Just a thought.

Old 2005-11-11, 13:18
weee

If I remember correctly, Yaz0r gave El the interview, and he found it on a CD from some magazine.
Old 2005-11-11, 13:39
Magic Ball Master

Ok, thanks.
Yaz0r is always there

Old 2005-11-11, 15:36
Master of Science & Magic

https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=2937

Tags
lia, quotes