Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Creations - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Creations - General The place for the creative LBA fans.

Old 2007-10-28, 22:37
Magic Level: Green Ball

[Max/Blender models]

Heya all

I'm trying to model characters and environments around LBA2 with 3dsmax (or blender), but I'm not much of an artist, and it usually ends up with a weird animated thingy, textured like... well like something

So I wondered if anyone had already a try on that, and maybe willing to help, or share some creations. That must prolly be the 1001 thread about this, but I take my chance..

That's it,

Thanks for reading me,

Leslie
Old 2007-10-29, 17:49

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Hey Leslie, welcome to the site!

Quite a few people have modeled/textured LBA art assets for various project (one of the largest being: "The Relentless Movie Project."

You can find links to them on the website, here.

I focus more on the modeling aspect of things, so I don't know how much help I could be with UV texturing. If you've got any modeling questions though, feel free to ask.

Cheers~
Old 2007-10-29, 22:18

Hi Lightwing ,

Thanks a lot, this website has some nices assets to play with !
I'm going to try animating some characters, and modeling the lighthouse as the one in LBA2.

To be continued

Leslie !
Old 2007-10-30, 02:25

Great to hear!

Please don't forget to post your models with wireframes as that's the most important part at getting feedback

Gluck!
Old 2007-10-31, 12:04

Hey

I'll post some screenies tonite, of the part of the island where the lighthouse is, so you'll tell me what you think of it !
Old 2007-10-31, 19:51
You what?!

Pretty exciting stuff. Hurry!
Old 2007-11-01, 01:11

As promised, here are some screenies, but it's not very convincing
I textured it very quickly, not to have just grass, but the trouble is the shape.

I definitly have to find a way to model more precisly. I've to apply the correct textures too.I wonder if I can get something out of El Muerte tools, heightmaps and/or textures.

If you're wondering how it is rendered, it's real-time rendered with OGRE engine. I'm having fun with it, so I decided to do something around LBA ! My final goal would be to create something playful, even something little, so if you have any fun idea, shoot !

I'll try to release an executable if anyone wishes so, but I've got to gather all the dependencies first !
For now, you can move the camera wherever you want, and it plays music(had a tough weekend to make it working) !!

I think a dark ambiance, with rain, and night cloudy sky would be great !

Leslie
Old 2007-11-01, 01:49

Did you texture by just painting over the models?

I'm not familiar with the orge engine.
Old 2007-11-01, 17:54

Indeed, I can paint over the terrain with different textures and save the terrain after. Or I can apply a top-view 'pre-made' texture to the terrain as well.

I made a small package (10.3Mo zipped) that should run alright, if anyone feels like trying it, I did not slipped a virus inside it (!!).

Requirements are :
- A graphic card compatible pixel shaders 2.0 or more (for the ocean texture). I'll add another texture that won't need 2.0 if I can.

- Windows (!!).

- Directx 9.0c.

- Before launching the executable, make sure you installed "oalinst.exe", it's in the folder, it detects audio devices to have music ingame, or else it won't launch.

Link >> http://rapidshare.com/files/66734844...house.zip.html

I really hope it works on your computer, just to have the pleisure sharing creations. It's the first time I make a 'bundle' that should be runnable on another comp, there might be some libraries that I forgot..

If it crashes without an error dialog, there's an 'ogre.log' file generated each time you launch the executable, and you can check things like (OGRE_EXCEPTION) and tell me.
Old 2007-11-01, 20:08

I ran it. It works. Great stuff!

Did you generate the island using a hight-map? Or did you built it by extruding/dividng polygons?

I'm currently playing around with the CryEngine2. If you're going to make an actually explorable environment, it might be something you'd want to check out. Only bummer is that you'd need to download the Crysis demo, which is about 2 gigs large :/

Here's something I made really quickly in the sandbox editor as a demonstration.

Naturally, because this is an editor for an existing game you run into some trouble such as:

1. Getting rid of the game's interface.
2. Making the level stand alone
3. Getting around certain pre-made aspects of the editor. For example here, you can't exactly make a terrain that can be placed on top of a round planet. Everything is flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SandBoxEd.jpg‎
Views:	929
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	7155   Click image for larger version

Name:	SandBoxEd2.jpg‎
Views:	917
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7156   Click image for larger version

Name:	SandBoxEd3.jpg‎
Views:	940
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	7157  

Last edited by Lightwing; 2007-11-01 at 20:18.
Old 2007-11-01, 20:57
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nice stuff.

Incidently, apperently theres simple hacks to activate the Direct X10 stuff, even on XP machines. (it even runs better under Dx9...slight blow to microsoft that )
Old 2007-11-01, 21:38
Magic Ball Master

I'm trying to do Citadell Island on Crytek Sandbox2, too
it's much easier then most other Game-level-editors i know about so that would be quite awesome for some fan-work if we got it to run
Old 2007-11-01, 22:02

I thought about jumping into the sandbox to make the islands, but I would like to do the entire planet. Under 2048*2048 resolution, you have enough room to actually put in every island and hamalayas. However, ideally I'd like to make the world round, for realistic exploration. That's the hard bit.
Old 2007-11-01, 22:26

Lightwing, I modeled it with 3dsmax, applied a black to white gradient texture on it, and exported a topview pic of it, giving me a greyscale heightmap.
I could directly export 3ds meshs to OGRE mesh format (.mesh), that I will with structure, char, but I found heightmaps more adequate for terrain.

I've tried Crysis demo sp, but not the sandbox yet. I think that using an existing game editor bounds you to do something very similar to the original game.

Using it for something too different will require deep modifications, and lot of work me think.
Old 2007-11-01, 23:19

For creating terrains with heightmaps you might want to check out Bryce 5 (which I believe is Freeware). You can create the landscape you want by creating a heightmap in Bryce, then save the heightmap and use it with ORGE. Bryce allows you to quickly see the resulting terrain of your heightmap. However, I can see how modeling out the landscapes in 3dsMax could be more precise.

The reason for suggesting CryEngine2 is that wouldn't we have to program all the gameplay from scratch for ORGE anyway? CryEngine has a lot of bells and whistles (water effects, wind, moving shadows, etc) that are already there for us to use. However, if we can create a round planet in ORGE and apply our terrains on top of that, then I'll happily ditch CryEngine2, as that sort of thing is more important than bells and whistles.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2007-11-01 at 23:35.
Old 2007-11-03, 17:47
Lba1+2=3

Nice model Leslie i downloaded it and tried it out.
Good stuff!
^^^
Old 2007-11-05, 23:24

Hi !

I've got some news on my progress
I looked into the forum and found some very interesting topics, in particular the ones decyphering .ILE LBA2 files, with the source code to extract everything from them.

I took some pieces and got the heightmaps out, to inject them in my app :

The last one is the Lighthouse part !
I'm working on animating the little elf model, found on el muerte website, but I'm not very good at it

That's it..
Leslie.
Old 2007-11-05, 23:25
Magic Ball Master

It looks great.
Old 2007-11-06, 20:19

Leslie, are you better at programming or modeling?
I haven't worked with the Orge engine so I'm not sure how easy it is to do all that shtuff in it.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2007-11-06 at 20:29.
Old 2007-11-06, 21:00

I guess I'm better at programming, right now I'm fighting with 3ds with that physique modifier !!!!

If you want to get an overview of the coding, here is the source of the lil app to read LBA2 heightmap, and display them :

http://rapidshare.com/files/67889897...house.zip.html
Old 2007-11-07, 21:15

Well.. I'm giving up on the elf animation, everything just goes wrong with skinning :

I'm going to work on a basic editor to start, to create/locate/rotate/etc.. entities in the world - things like benchs, trees. And the texturing too prolly !
Old 2007-11-09, 23:32

Hello

I did the algorithm to merge the multiple heightmaps(65*65) of an island into a single one(257*257), so here's the island Citadel to illustrate !

-

-

-

I can upload a 'standalone' of this if wished,

Leslie
Old 2007-11-10, 00:50
Magic Ball Master

Amazing!
Old 2007-11-10, 09:11
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
From where did yo take the photograph?